Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   32 Fountain Fever Questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55153-32-fountain-fever-questions.html)

mikesufka 07-22-2003 09:10 PM

32 Fountain Fever Questions

Gentleman

I'm thinking about stepping up to a bigger boat, after running hydrostreams, STV's, and Allisons. With regards to the 32 Fountain Fever, could someone give me an estimate of top speeds with regards to different engine options(i.e. 502's, HP500's, etc...)? Second, how far back, in terms of years could you go, and still get a good boat? Engine recommendations? Things to watch for? Prices?

Also, does the 29 Fever come with twins? Or is it just a single?

Lastly, any thoughts on the Advantage 32? Or the Sunsation 32?

Comparing all three, what's the best buy for the money?

Thanks.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN

Alli-Runner 07-22-2003 11:28 PM

Mike, contact OSO member (Seadated) he's got a 99' with 502's that in mint condition for sale. Ask him some questions!

rouxsterre 07-23-2003 01:57 AM

The 32 Fever is a GREAT bang-for-the buck contender from a TOP-TIER manufacturer.
It is FAST with stock 502 mags (right around 80mph @ 5100 in salt), very solid and dry ride in all but the nastiest of Pacific Ocean recreational conditions, distinctive styling, and a very nicely appointed cabin with wrap-around seating, v-berth, etc.
In terms of ‘How far back’ to go, it largely depends upon your preference of step-hull vs non-step hull. Fountain integrated a step into the hull in 1997. Pre-1997 hulls had no step.
Non-step hulls are considered to be somewhat safer, while a step-hull configuration is certainly somewhat faster.

Linked below is a very nice example of a post-'96 step-hull 32 Fever, found at BoatTrader.com.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/51178158.htm

Ran-Dom 32 07-23-2003 08:07 AM

32 Sunsation offers more bang for the buck, In my opinion. My Dad just sold his '96 Fever (had step bottom) twin 502 EFI 78 mph on gps - Cocpit very cramped - had to stand up & drive -as compared to my 32 Sunsation. Fit & finish on the Fountain is excellent - ride & handling hands down Sunsation, just ask someone who driven both, good luck - can't go wrong either way -try them both before laying down the cash.

pachangalpina 07-23-2003 08:31 AM

Too Old's Fountain is larger than you have mentioned but is about the best deal you will find. About 10k less than most 32's of comparable age and condition and about 10mph faster also. Has more room in the engine compartment and don't even think about servicing a 29 Fountain with twin big blocks. I believe 98 was the last year of the twin big block in the 29.

29Fever 07-23-2003 09:26 AM

I agree with Too Old. I also wold look for a 35' over a 32'. I just don't like the way the 32' sits in the water.
If you're comparing these two boats, I would go for the 35'. This is a ton of boat for under 100k.

However, you can find a late model 32' a lot cheaper than both of these boats.

Beak Boater 07-23-2003 09:47 AM

Mike..Seeing you'v driven Stream's, Stv's and Allisons, you are probably boating on a lake or protected river? I owned a 2000 32 with 500 H.P.'s Carb motors. Boat ran 83-84 on gps. That was the same as the performance sheet stated from Fountain. We loved the boat, it out accelerated boats that were faster because of the horsepower to weight ratio, important if your into lake racing, handled very well and was ok up to 3-4 foot waves seemed to start falling in holes after that. A couple of things we didnt like, because the swim platform was so close to the water at idle it trapped exhaust and caused a little vibration that was a little iritating, also with the stern that low you will take water in through the bilge exhaust vents, that keeps the bilge wet and will eventually make you replace the bilge blowers. Lastly because of the length of the boat and the twin engines it is a little stern heavy, if you do fly the boat it lands stern first not always level. Nomal serivce, oil changes, filters, are easy to get to, but changing the spark plugs...well its almost easier to take one on the engines out because you cannot reach between them with the gill exhaust, the CMI's on the EFI H.P. is alittle easier. Im not knocking Fountain's if thats what you think. I bought a 35, and this is my 3rd Fountain. Just pointing out pros and cons. Never ridden in a 32 Sunsation, been in a 288 and they are a quality boat also. The 29 Fever with a single 500 H.P is a better balanced boat easier to work on runs in the 70's, I think Fever Mike has his for sale, and the their is no comparrison between the 35 and the 32, totally different boats. Just depends where you boat and what you want to do. Good luck.

Advantage_Rob 07-23-2003 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 32 Advantage, and I love it, and I've been on the Fountians and Sunsations a ton, Friends of mine have both boat's, well my one friends 32 Fountian sank last summer from those wonderful Vents at the rear, cuz he anchored from the back during the lake st clair races. I've got twin 502 mag efi's, and run over 80 with a normal load of fuel and people, and have run 83.7 with a friends labbed 30's and 1/4 tank. Then ask any of the lake st clair guys from this board like Milord about how awesome the ride of the boat is, how level it flies, and how smooth the ride is, or what a freak I am about keeping it perfect looking, and maintained perfectly. Then add to that the huge 4 bolster cockpit, built in cooler, the ski locker under the floor, the batteries under the floor on the left rear, and bumper storage under the floor on the right side that fits 6 big bumpers. Enclosed pump out head, roomy leather cabin, blender, all the goodies, I really love the boat, And the guys around here with the same motors in thier beaks and suns that I regularly pass, to me there really isn't much choice, plus it's a true 32, no notched transom, or beak. The ability to seat 9 people comfortably is priceless. I had 10 on it last weekend, 80 gallons of fuel, and ran 77-78 all day. I've had my boat 4 years, and just hit 200 hours. The only problems I've had with it were a broken motor mount when I first got it, which were upgraded and back in the next day. Remember everythings for sale too, that helps the fund for the 36 skater I want to get next. Aluminum tri-axle with disks on all 3 axles. If anything, at least take a test ride on one out there in minnesota, I know theres alot of them around there, just to see the ride quality & ROOM in comparison to any other boat that size.

donzi matt 07-23-2003 12:32 PM

in regards to Too Old's 35 Fountain,

I live 4 houses down from the previous owner of that boat. A more anal person when it comes to boats you will never meet. Not only was the boat freshwater, but it was also lift kept and maintained like no other. I rode on that boat with the previous owner and remember a true 85 mph with no problems. if your looking for a clean 35, I doubt you could find one nicer. The thing is mint with a capital M.

Matt Burns

Von Bongo 07-23-2003 05:16 PM

Don't forget your "my boat isn't sinking" sign for when it is docked if you are buying a 32.

Step up to a 35 if you can much more boat than the 3 feet sounds.