Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected? >

What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?

Notices

What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?

Old 07-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the boat was represented with hours on the hour meter as the basis of sale price, the dealer is on the hook. Most states have laws on the books regarding fraud. Whether dealer was aware of it or not is another matter, as well as being able to prove that the dealer was aware of it. but, a dealer also can't plead ignorance, as they certainly must be aware that you can check hours with scan tool.

i don't know if there is a basis to "give it back" to dealer. especially, since title should be in name of new owner. I would work on negotiating cash-back from dealer. If dealer not willing to play ball, probably will be time for attorney and/or state attorney generals office to get involved.

unfortunately, your friend really dropped the ball in not checking the computers. It also would be interesting to see on a surveyed boat transaction if a surveyor didn't access the computer hours as well.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

Bottom line is that the dealer did not check the hours ( or maybe they did) and sold the boat as an "80 hour boat" when in fact it had more. I would bet they checked it as they know better and I am sure would like to know the true story behind the boat. They know better and they know the law so they are on the hook and your buddy could really put the hurt on them. Instead he should hold that ace and ask for the world and make sure they know just how far this could go if there is no JUSTICE.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IDRPSTF
Tell your friend to drive it over to the dealer and get his money back. Why would he even consider doing anything else? There is a huge difference between 80 hours and 200. Not only on the engines, but on the Hull. I have worked for a dealer that did that **** deliberately! It is called lying!!! So if you lie about the engine hours, what else will you lie about? There are two kids of dealers Honest and dishonest! Its black and white my friends. If the dealer takes the boat back in and gives a full refund and makes an effort to help your friend get another boat, he is a stand up guy. If he trys to B.S. his way around it then don't walk away...RUN!
If I sold you that boat, I would take it back. Because I do honest business. I would not have disconnected the meter. And If it was a brokered boat that I represented I would take it back and drive it straight up the sellers ass!
C'mon, start holding people accountable for there actions instead of letting them off the hook with a warranty. Plus Fountain Warranties usually are a head ache anyway.

I agree COMPLETELY!!!!!!

What he bought and what ws represented to him were TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!!!!

Think about resale. I think IDRPSTF is right on the money with about a 30-40000 price difference! Maybe the boat is great, but the fact is he overpaid based on a sellers false representation of the goods.

If the dealer is honest and fair, either get them to find one just like it with the hours he wants, or pay the difference to him in the value. Fountain builds a lot of boats, so finding one shouldn't be to difficult.
I hope for his sake he is dealing with an honest and fair dealer
Old 07-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one girls opinion; most perf boats are sold when they get mechanicaly tired. the cost of repowering is staggering. so detail them and move them.i recomend buying without power and power it yourself. take out the guess work. just one girls opinion.

cya im going for a boat ride.
Attached Thumbnails What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?-bl.jpg  
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet when they took the boat in they put the scan tool on it to check the motors and hours, especially if it was a trade in............
Old 07-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Registered

Can you clear the engine hour meter? Do the mechanics have the tools to clear the computer (hr)?
WHAT is stopping them from this? Just a few questions for a dummie (me)
Old 07-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like i said take out the guess work.power it yourself.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:26 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

short ride lucy!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Registered

If the dealer was trying to pull a fast one, why wouldnt he have hooked the hr meter back up before the new owner took delivery. Sounds to me like he just didnt know. Stupid on his part and now he should do what it takes to satisfy the new owner.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I agree.

Quick Reply: What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.