Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ok, Older Trans Ams.....Honestly older >

Ok, Older Trans Ams.....Honestly older

Notices

Ok, Older Trans Ams.....Honestly older

Old 07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 80 Turbo Trans Am. I remember one time in TOLEDO running 85 mph on the highway and cars blowing past me running at least 100. I couldnt catch them because I was giving it all I had! It was the biggest dog of a V-8 Ive ever owned, but I liked the car! It had those Turbo lights on the hood that I thought were cool at the time.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:35 AM
formulaF302

I got pulled over by a state trooper in Detroit after I was cruising at 85 mph with that crummy turbo motor and the turbo blew in my 80 T/A.....I was making a smokescreen behind me that the US Army would've been proud of. The smell was unbearable....it took me a year to get the smell it made out of the exhaust system and off the bottom of the car. Do yourself a favor before it blows....switch to a Chevy engine of your choice. Parts are cheap and easy to find....You're right about the cool lights in the hood though...I thought they were pretty neat....

Old 07-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally posted by formulaF302
I got pulled over by a state trooper in Detroit after I was cruising at 85 mph with that crummy turbo motor and the turbo blew in my 80 T/A.....I was making a smokescreen behind me that the US Army would've been proud of. The smell was unbearable....it took me a year to get the smell it made out of the exhaust system and off the bottom of the car. Do yourself a favor before it blows....switch to a Chevy engine of your choice. Parts are cheap and easy to find....You're right about the cool lights in the hood though...I thought they were pretty neat....

Thats really funny that you say that. My speedo was buried (it only registered 85 in a Trans Am!). Anyway, Im running at least 85 and coming around a curve I pass a state trooper. I nearly s**t my pants, but he stayed put because people were going faster than I, not even slowing down for him! Also, after the T/A was on the road for about an hour, smoke would start to roll out those side vents on the front fenders!

I eventually sold the car to a neighbor kid. He decided he could "bypass" the turbo somehow and took it off. The car never ran again........
Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

I'll tell you the one that will fly. The turbo pace car. I believe it was an 86. Same engine as the Grand National. That car would fly......and a V6 at that.