Notices

Coast Guard ID in Bilge

Old 07-24-2003, 04:25 PM
outlawntexas

Lightbulb Coast Guard ID in Bilge

I registered my boat with the CG and now need to "permanently" mark the NO. in the engine compartment. The regs state that it must be done in a manner so as to be evident if tampered with or removed. I am looking for some creative and good looking ideas.

With all of the OS'ers here I am sure you guys have solved this one before!

Thanks,
Bruce...

Old 07-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat number tag is stamped stainless steel plate attached to a side bulk head along the port engine and held in place with stanless rivetes. That passed the C.G. reg. no problem....
Old 07-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Steve_H

find a local vinyl shop to make the lettering for you in any color you want.

needs to be at least 3" or maybe its 4" in height and have NO in front of the number.

stick it on your bilge area somewhere and your good to go.

Old 07-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did the same as lotoparty
Old 07-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by lotoparty

needs to be at least 3" or maybe its 4" in height and have NO in front of the number.

That won't pass......it's not permenant and can be removed.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Steve_H

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
That won't pass......it's not permenant and can be removed.
then theres thousands of boats out there that dont pass.

outlawntexas if you want to make sure , a call to the coast guard would be in order.

PhantomChaos may be right , but ive never had a problem with using vinyl.

boat name and hailing port is also in vinyl on my boat.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Steve_H

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

PhantomChaos is right. i would guess its something the coast guard overlooks though.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm

Old 07-25-2003, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the easiest thing to do is use the block style vinyl letters/numbers, and then take a piece of fiberglass cloth and some resin and glass over top of them. You can see the Documentation number fine and the fiberglass keeps anyone from tampering with it.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought stencil letters and numbers from the art store and taped my numbers (preceded with NO) into a string. I then taped the string to the hull inside the engine compartment. Then carefully brushed black paint into the stencil. Actually, I let my wife the artsy one do that. The stencil did not sit tight enough to the hull to spray paint it. Then I removed the stencil and clear coated the black paint. Turned out real nice.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by lotoparty

Brush a coat of clearcote over it and you should be good to go

Quick Reply: Coast Guard ID in Bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.