Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ATL Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tank (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55473-atl-safety-fuel-cell-bladder-tank.html)

Tom 07-26-2003 07:42 PM

ATL Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tank

Qty (1) Custom ATL Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tank. Approx. 37 U.S. gal.
capacity. Bladder constructed of ATL 824-A. Includes SF103
safety foam and (1) 6x10 plate with 2" FPT fill, (1) #8 vent & (1) #8
fuel pickup.
Suitable for use with gasoline or diesel fuel. Price = $ 1383.00

Anybody have any experience with ATL? How will it handle all the banging around in offshore racing?

Steve 1 07-26-2003 08:17 PM

Used them for years no problem except they seem to breathe gas fumes

Tom 07-26-2003 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Steve 1
Used them for years no problem except they seem to breathe gas fumes
Gas fumes are a bad thing in a boat, can you elaborate on the gas fume issue?

Steve 1 07-26-2003 09:23 PM

Was just the boats always smelled like gas. its hard to beat a well designed well fastened in... metal fuel tank..

The Bladders have to be secured in a manner that does not allow movement.. strapping them down will not work as they flex around the restraint...

you actually need to build them into a form-fitting box type affair with a top on it..

I did the math one day By the time I added all the tie-down material and the fittings there was not much weight to be saved..so I designed new race tanks that were an epoxy coated round aluminum tank system in 8# foam and bolts on the cats and never had a problem..

Monty 07-26-2003 09:32 PM

ATL and FuelSafe are the industry standand in many forms of motorsports. Bladders must be enclosed by a suitable external, rigid container - generally aluminum or plastic, although steel is used in some cases. It depends on the requirements of the sanctioning body and the application. Properly applied, a FuelSafe or ATL badder/container system will exceed almost any OEM fuel tank arrangement.

Mike J 07-26-2003 09:34 PM

Tom, Check www.fuelsafe.com
in Bend Or.
541-388-0203
Tried and True.
Mike J.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-26-2003 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a 22 gal ATL in the 13 ft vee bottom that ran in offshore conditions all the time. Although this was not the flexible bladder type, it was the plastic fuel cell though. When I installed it I made it just snug to some angle aluminum and then ran two straps over the top. As Steve said about the fuel...After fueling it up, the tank expanded big time!:eek: I could have probably ran without the straps because it became so tight inside the aluminum.
I was very impressed with the fuel pick up design as well.
All in all, a great tank! ;)

Ryan Beckley 07-26-2003 10:48 PM

MANY offshore teams have used ATL cells for years. I have never heard anything bad about them.

mmwalters 07-26-2003 10:55 PM

They seem to work great but be aware the foam in the bladder has a life of about 10years and it is a real pain to replace.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-26-2003 11:28 PM

Re: ATL Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tank

Originally posted by Tom
Qty (1) Custom ATL Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tank. Approx. 37 U.S. gal.
capacity. Bladder constructed of ATL 824-A. Includes SF103
safety foam and (1) 6x10 plate with 2" FPT fill, (1) #8 vent & (1) #8
fuel pickup.
Suitable for use with gasoline or diesel fuel. Price = $ 1383.00

$1383.00 :eek:

So my 22 gallon tank that I am asking $299 for is a bit cheap huh?:confused: :D :D :D