First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259 >

First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Notices

First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Old 07-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics of the prototype. Dual ram version is now in full production, single ram version will be in production the second week in August.

This picture shows the first set ever built, before paint. I'll post more pics of painted tabs soon. Today I'm doing a set in HP Mercury blue, one in Porsche guards red, one in 'glamour' metallic silver and one in high gloss black.
Attached Thumbnails First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259-tabs4.jpg  
Old 07-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

I am running the dual ram tabs so those might work out pretty well. It has seemed at times like the speed that the tabs operated at might be a bit slow(big delay). Is that the size of the tab or the speed of the rams themselves?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

JROMY...I've been running out of the Norwalk area for 33 years. If you need any information on the area, shoot me a PM and I'll help ya out.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

Well, I caught some huge waves this weekend - and heard a large crunch. Apparently just my CD player blowing out of its cradle. Am I going to end up splitting this hull apart?
Old 09-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound can be very unpredictable, like a washing machine at times. Lots of big boats throwing big rollers. I run a 28 Pantera with twin 496's and sometimes i feel more like a airplane pilot rather than a boat operater but this boat lands soft and keeps going. I run out of cos cob ct.........sometimes you just have to run some tab in it, and be safe.........
Old 09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also live on the sound, a little farther east. I know what you mean about the beating you can take out there. I just bought a 26' Cougar cat. I'm going to pick it up next weekend down in Miami. I'm scared to death that it isn't going to be enough boat for me out there in the Sound. We'll see.

I didn't get a chance to take my other boat out this weekend. Although on Sat. I did manage to take one of the kayaks out for a couple of hours and found it to be unusually calm out there. Between having my weekend being wasted by a not so close friends wedding and the crap weather, the weekend was a wash for me. Sunday I had two hours to myself so I jumped on the chopper and went for a ride. Stopped by Ocean Performance in Old Saybrook. Have you seen the paint work on that cat out front? The "X Men" boat... wow is that impressive. Blew me away. Luckily for my sake, the place was closed. Looks like they have a few nice used boats. Most of the stuff looked to be at least 30'. From my experience on the Sound 30' or better is what's needed in a deep V. I don't know about cats... I'll have to get back to you on that one.

BTW- your boat should hold together fine, it just sounds like it's about to crack in half!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Registered

I saw the x-men boat a week or two ago. Beautiful. I was actually hoping to trade my boat for a 38' Cigarette they had for around 155000. Boat is greenish with a baby smoking a doobie (or something) "Pure Insanity" Unfortunately, I don't think I can swing it. I'm just hoping that mine holds up. It seems fine other than some of the noises I hear. Next spring, I'm shooting for a Cig or POWERPLAY. I'm curious to know how the cats hang in the chop out in the Sound.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see that 38 Cig. Was it in the back, in the fenced in area? Sounds nice, sounds pricey. I see they have a fair amount of inventory turn over. I drive by every couple of weeks if you want me to keep an eye open for something in particular.

You can't go wrong with a Cig or Powerplay. I'm sure there is or will be some deals out there as the market is pretty beaten up... as long as you buy before Feb / March.

I was out in Greenport LI a week ago Sat. Later in the day it got very nasty. Coming through Plum Gut in an 18' Yamaha jetboat was interesting to say the least. Had to be at least 10'+ seas anyway in the Gut. I was a little concerned to say the least. The sound itself had about 5' to 6' seas. I couldn't get the boat up on plane (15 mph?) and noticed others in larger boats not moving to much faster. As I got closer to Clinton Harbor some guy came blowing by me at 60+ mph in a cat. Looked to be a 30' - 35' aluminum cat w/ twin BB's. I swear I could smell the beer he was drinking! He was running that smooth. I later saw him at the town dock waiting for someone to bring the trailer, drinking a beer. It blew me away that he was able to run that hard through the crud. I'll be a happy man if I can take my cat through 2/3's the crud at those speeds!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

jromy, (sorry this is long) I'm out with my 25 convincor just about every weekend. I launch in Saybrook and usually head out to Greenport or block Island. As others have said, the sound can be unpredictable. Down at the east end the water seems to be going in many different directions.
this time of the year it can get pretty big out there.
Plum gut and the race can get real bad for a 25' boat.Be careful.
Headed out this past Saturday(going to block Island), headed toward the gut and the swells where growing to 4-5-? changed course and headed toward the race. Got real choppy there.
Got to the edge of the chop and found 3 consecutive 6-7' walls of water. We got soaked!!!! Now we're wet and it's only 70*. After that it flatend out a bit but the swells where beating us up.
headed back around the out side of plum island and back thru the gut and back into the sound. Swells were not as bad.
Went to duck Island, ate lunch, took a nap, and headed home.
Let me know when your going out sometime and maybe we can hook up.
As far as the boat, Mine seem's to be holding up pretty good. The screws for the rub rail kept coming loose(not the ones that bolt the hull together). but I pulled them out, filled the holes with silkiflex caulk and put the screws back in. So far they haven't loosened up again.
The EX-MEN boat at ocean performance, Cool boat.
Talked to one of there sales men at a show this past winter about my boat, he referred to the checkmates as a "Ohio poor mans boat". I guess if you don't spend at least $200k on a boat your nobody.
I only dream about a 38' cig
There parts guy (Mike) is a really nice guy though.