First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259 >

First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Notices

First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Old 07-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Put the 259 Checkmate Convincer in the big water for the first time today from all fresh water inland lakes. There is definately something really nice about being able to plan going "Somewhere" instead of the usual local haunts. The boat was definately a bit light and caught some air, but the hull seemed pretty solid structurally. Does anyone else run out here on a regular basis with similar boat?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:05 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

were in the sound do/will you run? My boat is almost back in runngon condition. I am on the northshore of LI between glen cove and oyster bay. When she's runnind i am in the sound all the time.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:13 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i jst looek dup skaneatles NY on mapquest and it appear to be way upstate. Did you move south or do you just like to trailer 8 hours to the sound?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to own a 259 checkmate It was like a large waverunner in the ocean! I often wondered if the
K-planes would have made a difference rather than them little sissy trim tabs
Old 07-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Registered

I have a 259 with k Planes. they will keep the nose down.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 98 253 with a Procharged 502 and used to run the Sound all the time. Used to go around Orient Pt., thru the Gut. The sound can be unpredictable. Lots of big swells, sloppy chop and boat wakes can make for an exciting ride. The boat definately likes to fly. It handles water well but has it's limitations. I had it for 2 seasons and the boat developed alot of stress cracks and things started to come loose. I was very happy with it but feel it could be built a little stronger.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Registered

I just moved to Westport CT from Skaneateles NY...little bit different out here ! We ran from Norwalk to Bridgeport and anchored in a cove called Cockieco (i think). I was commenting yesterday on how the tabs seemed pretty much worthless (and it was really the first time I've ever really needed them). How big of a production is switching to k-planes? Puder, let me know once your boat is back together - we'll have to get together.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:59 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

definatly.

As for converting to k-planes it isn't taht big of a deal. Check out the eddie marine billet trib tabs. I installed them on my boat. They look good (and stonger than merc parts) and were 1/2 price of merc kplanes alone. Plus they came with trim pumps for $1600. Just remove your bennets, fill the old mounting holes with gelcote drill the new hoels for the planes and bolt the new ones in place. Just make sure that you place them so you avoid drilling into any stringers. If you do get eth eddie marine parts orer the hardware from mcmaster or some other hardware supplier. Eddie marine doen;t supply that and i found that the normal bolts (with hex heads) were a tad big for the mounting plates and had trouble fittign a socket wrench on them. It woudl be way easier to get socket head bolts. good luck.

when my baot gets rungnian again i'll let you know!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the Eddie Tabs. In the mean time I made the mistake of stopping at Ocean Performance. They have some really nice larger used boats that might not be too far out of my price range. The finance rates seem pretty damn good too....
We'll see.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

JROMY, do you run the dual-ram Bennetts? If so, I'm currently offering an upgrade for both the single and dual ram kits. They simply bolt up to your original tab mounts. Overall length is just over 18" for the dual ram and about 14" overall length for the singles. Both styles measure 12" wide and taper down to 8" at the tip. I've had great success and reviews with this new product. Let me know if you're interested. $399CDN.-dual $379CDN.-single

Shown are a couple of prototypes just out of the paint booth.

Brian Kamrath
Attached Thumbnails First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259-cooltabs1.jpg  

Quick Reply: First time out in L.I. Sound-Checkmate 259

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.