Notices

The ultimate boat ride

Old 07-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The ultimate boat ride

I just got back from spending two days out to sea on the USS theodore Roosevelt.
It was the coolest thing I think i ever got to do.
The air show that the navy put on was amazing.
Not only did i get to stand on the flight deck and see
f-18s take off and land i got to see an f-14 break the sound barrier 30 ft over my head you should have heard
the boom.They let us fire a 50 cal gun. a battle ship
an a frigget did a drive by and they did a water rescue with a helo.it was great hanging out with the people
who went to Iraq an afganistan to fight for our way of life.Thanks to all the crew on the teddy roosevelt for a job well done defending our freedom.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 PM
OG Outlaw 24

Does anyone know where I can get the video of the builder sea trialing a carrier??

OG

Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Andrea

Originally posted by OG Outlaw 24
Does anyone know where I can get the video of the builder sea trialing a carrier??
Saw some time ago on Discovery channel (don't remember if was on Extreme Machines or Big, Big, Big) a program with the sea trial travel of a carrier (was the Theodore Roosevelt if not remember bad).

Was quite impressive seeing how the carrier leaned during some high speed 180º turns (35knots or more, if not wrong). Being on the deck during those turns should be a terrific experience.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i hafta say that i'm extremely jelous. how did you get the privilage of spending the two days on the boat with them. did you get to expierance it as the crew or like an observing guest. man that had to be an awsome weekend.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds kewl, my cousin was in the Navy and my Uncle got to do that. He was on teh Carl Vinsons

I which battleship did you see, it is my understanding that all the Iowa class ships had been mothballed?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,646 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Join the Navy and you can ride them all the time , hell with two days you can go on a 6 month cruise or longer.
you will be able to see blue water ops first hand, eat, sleep and shi*t with 5000 other people. Carrier aviation is cool as a observer, but thats about it.
I was forunate , 22 years and no ship time, i have however deployed 11 times, at 6 months a pop though,
so i ahve had my share of time away from home.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

High Speed turn
Attached Thumbnails The ultimate boat ride-highspeedturn.jpg  
Old 07-28-2003, 04:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

During my 7 years in the Marines, I got to do 2 "pumps" (usually 6 months at sea) on Navy ships and it's quite a different way of life. Our ships are extremely bad a$$. Most people don't know this, but most of the bigger ships have Gyms, movie theaters, ATM machines, soda mess (like a 7/11). It costs over 1Million $$ a day to operate 1 Aircraft carrier!!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

sorry i was out of state for two days with no computer.
my best friend is a LT. in the navy. they did what was called a tiger crusie that allowes friends and family aboard the
ship. it is set up so you can see what it is your loved ones in the navy do onboard.he runs the reactor and that is off limits so i diden't get to see it or the engine
room.the good thing is that i got to go to chow in the officers ward room and diden't have to wait in the long ass line with the enlisted people and their families.
as for the battle ship i don't remember the name.
but from what i understand no carrier goes out without
support ships you don't alway see them but when we
stopped for an ariel photo with all of us on the flight deck
spelling out TR TIGER the ships came into view.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Steve 1
High Speed turn

Better make sure the jets are tied down....(on deck or not) when doing that manuver!!!!!

Quick Reply: The ultimate boat ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.