Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Help with a Magnum-Donzi in our back yard! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55571-need-help-magnum-donzi-our-back-yard.html)

Strike 07-28-2003 09:17 AM

Need Help with a Magnum-Donzi in our back yard!

1 Attachment(s)
My freind has a 27' Magnum Donzi he has owned for tweenty years and restored. We think it is the boat featured on the bottom of page 67 with Don Aronow driving it ("Don Aronow, The King Of Thunderboat Row book") in the 1967 Hennessy Cup in California. It was the only single Casule V-drive built, we think.
Peter Revson was a prior owner, registered to Revlon with a Texas tag. After that it was owned by Mark Donahue and ran the Miami-Nassau race.
WE are trying to find out who the original owner was!
How about some input from the older experts on OSO.

Here is a phot of it now.

Strike 07-28-2003 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Keith Black fuel injected engine that came with the boat.

BODYSHOT1 07-28-2003 09:24 AM

Bob Geoghegan (sp)

...from the board...very knowledgeable regarding the older raceboats....

cool boat for sure!!

:cool:

Sean 07-28-2003 09:40 AM

This boat is the infamous Satan's Chariot. I think only 5 were built and it's got a 7' beam. The boat was a handful at speed and that's why it was given the name. I think there are only 2 in existance today...

Very nice find!

This boat has been a hot topic on Donzi.net. In a post there, "according to Michael Aronow, Don built two for himself, two for Kiekhaefer and one for Ed Kendall. John Mecom Jr bought one of Don's Banana boats and raced in local texas races in 1968"

I thought they were all twin engine boats though...

Lee 07-28-2003 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Satan's Chariot

Strike 07-28-2003 12:46 PM

Lee

Please edit and re-post that photo. One DID have an outdrive. There is also a red one found somewhere. Wish somebody had a photo of it. That means 3 of 5 have been found!

Fast Shafts 07-28-2003 02:04 PM

Strike,

A great source for information would be Harry Schoell. He designed this boat for Aronow as well as most of the Magnums. Harry is still around today and designed the "Pulse" drive, maybe you can get in touch with him there. Pulse is a sponsor of OSO so you shouldn't have any trouble finding their #.
I've also responded to you on the Donzi.net site.
Maybe 'Brownie' will respond being he was involved with Donzi way back then.
Aronow had one of these boats built for his friend and car racer, Mark Donahue, after Donahue had a custom Camaro built for Aronow.

Strike 07-28-2003 02:35 PM

Robert

Thanks, I e-mailed Harry with info and photos.

racesdad 07-28-2003 04:41 PM

I WANT IT !!!! NOW!!!!!

BROWNIE 07-29-2003 07:31 AM

I don't think Harry did this one. He was responsible for the 28' and 27', and 23' Magnums, which grew into every decent boat in the free world. I personally consider this to be the WORST boat ever to come off 188th Street. Don's first one has a 427 trubo Daytona, and was fast as heck, but wiiiiiiiild.

Strike 07-29-2003 10:55 AM

Brownie

Gee, thanks for all your encouraging words! The boat is now in top shape and runs very well.

Hangtime 11-25-2005 01:07 PM

Re: Need Help with a Magnum-Donzi in our back yard!

3 Attachment(s)
3 of 5

woogie 11-25-2005 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Strike
Here is the Keith Black fuel injected engine that came with the boat.

Is KB motor back in the boat ?

Top Banana 11-26-2005 08:38 AM

What is the actual beam on that boat?

I heard that it was under 7 feet, and that is what made it so hard to drive because it was so narrow.

Could you please measure the beam and let us know?

Thanks

Hangtime 06-25-2018 06:51 PM

Satans Chariot

Anyone know where Satans Chariot is today?

olredalert 06-26-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hangtime (Post 1535499)
3 of 5

----I looked at the red boat way back in the late 90's. At the time it was north of Flint Mi. in the middle of nowhere. Something seemed off and I passed. Heard later that it migrated with a new owner to the west side of Mi. but am not sure where it is today. I later learned from Mark O that this boat was not one of the 5 and a pop of some sort. I have a pic of it somewhere that my wife took the day we went to look at it......Bill S