Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil Filled Hubs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55577-oil-filled-hubs.html)

Turbojack 07-28-2003 09:44 AM

Oil Filled Hubs

I have just finished repacking all 6 of my wheel bearing. Reason I did it is after every trip of 300 miles I have more grease on the wheel than in the hubs. I have buddy bearing & have only put enought grease to get the grease fitting off of its base. When I get back it will be on it's base & grease everywhere. I also have the bras that are to stop grease from going everwhere.

The reason for this post is I saw the oil filledl hubs. Anyone use them, or know anything about them? Here is a link oil filled hubs

WARPARTY36 07-28-2003 10:05 AM

I don't know about that brand, but I have my buddies trailer behind my truck right now with oil hubs. This is a tandem dual set-up and it sucks! It pulls great, and was probably never designed to be in the water. Every time you dunk it, the oil has to be drained in the parking lot. It takes two or three times of draining and refilling to get all of the water out. From now on we will have the boat hoisted. Not to steal your thread, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Turbojack 07-28-2003 11:00 AM

Warparty, this is want I wanted. I rather know before I spend the money. I have towed over 10,000 miles before I have repacked. I friend has about 12,000 miles & lost tire, wheel hub, fender, & axle.

WARPARTY36 07-28-2003 11:04 AM

If someone makes a true waterproof set up, that would be the only way to go. I have not found one yet. These are Dexter axles, and I am calling them now to see if they have any suggestions. I will let you know what I find out.

boot 07-28-2003 11:42 AM

"Oil bath axles" suck if you are dunking it ! I had a trailer with 3- 9,000 lbs axles and every time it got wet it took on water and turned to milk !

War party, look at the rubber plug in the end of the axle cap . see if it had a tiny vent hole . LOOK CLOSE . It is small .... If you can find them ,you can get plugs without vents. Or do what I did and glue them shut . Glue everything ! The cap and the rubber plug. I used permatex. They DO NOT have to be vented . Check the fill plug on the side of the hub too . If that doesn't help, tear it down , clean it good and grease the bearings ! :D It will work fine . And the water dosn't mix with the grease as easy .

Turbo, I would try buying new bearing buddies . Maybe just one to try it . See if the new ones hold grease in better . Also , You HAVE to change the grease sometimes !! Grease brakes down and gets watery and can seep out from anywhere . You should take it apart , clean all the old grease out and start with fresh every year . Hope this helps !:cool: Joe

WARPARTY36 07-28-2003 04:21 PM

Thank you Boot. I thought about tapping the hole in the middle of the cap, and putting a plastic threaded plug in it. With the o-ring on the cap the only thing that could possibly get wet is if it sucks water in from the back side somehow. I still have not heard from the axle mfg.

Turbojack 07-28-2003 04:52 PM

Boot- I have totally redone, took apart, ran everthing thru part washer, checked, repacked, new rear seal, & new buddy bearing. Hopefully I can get another 2.5 years before problem comes up again.

The only problem I have is on 2 spindles where the rear seal rides there are groves in the colar. There is a colar that fits over the spindle with an O-ring behind it. Everyone I have talked to does not have an idea what I am talking about.

mmwalters 07-28-2003 09:27 PM

I have had problems with marine grease. Melting point to low, I really think it is just cheap. Try high temp grease. It will not fling out all over when you are running because of heat from the brakes.:fish:

SLINGSHOT 07-28-2003 09:32 PM

Originally posted by WARPARTY36
I don't know about that brand, but I have my buddies trailer behind my truck right now with oil hubs. This is a tandem dual set-up and it sucks! It pulls great, and was probably never designed to be in the water. Every time you dunk it, the oil has to be drained in the parking lot. It takes two or three times of draining and refilling to get all of the water out. From now on we will have the boat hoisted. Not to steal your thread, but does anyone have any suggestions.
GET SEALS MADE....I HAVE A SET IF YOU NEED,THEY ARE 2100.00 FOR TWO AXLES

Scott B 07-28-2003 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Turbojack

The only problem I have is on 2 spindles where the rear seal rides there are groves in the colar. There is a colar that fits over the spindle with an O-ring behind it. Everyone I have talked to does not have an idea what I am talking about.

That sounds like a Bearing Buddy spindle seal.. Any dealer should be able to get your replacements ones. If you have a problem getting them, let me know I usually keep em in stock at the office..

Scott B