Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gooseneck (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55604-gooseneck.html)

Hot Duck 07-28-2003 12:29 PM

Gooseneck

I am considering ordering a new gooseneck trailer for our 45' Apache. Right now it is on a 14 year old Myco tandem dually in need of some major rehab work. The current trailer is not a gooseneck.

My other trailers are single wheel, triple axles. They are not goosenecks either. Any benefit to sticking with the tandem dually setup over the triple axle setup? Will a dually trailer track as well as the others or will it wander and follow the ruts in the road?

I have seen several cats on goosenecks, but not many vee hulls. Any reason for this? Anybody here using a gooseneck? Please give some opinions and post pictures if you have them. Thanks.

wannabe 07-28-2003 12:40 PM

Goosenecks

They do track better, and turn tighter. But there is no real reason to change. A properly built 2 axle trailer will track just fine, and is a lot cheaper to refurb then buying new. Your boat has a lighter lay up if I recall being an ex-raceboat. If you really have questions talk to Myco and let them give an estimate of refurbing it themselves.

Wannabe

ScottB 07-28-2003 12:50 PM

I have a Myco Aluminum 3 axel trailer like new
had a 45 Smith on and was only used 3 times
PM me if interested

Hot Duck 07-28-2003 12:50 PM

Thank you for the response. I have spoken to Bill @ Myco and he advised that they do not perform any rehab work. My major concern with the current trailer is rust. There are some spots where the rust is flaking off large chunks of metal. This is occurring mostly at the rear of the trailer at the drive guard and around the area where the fenders attach to the frame. I am worried about the possibility of the trailer rusting from the inside out. This is the original trailer to the boat so I do not know if it has been dunked or anything else about its maintenance history. Basically, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Raypanic 07-28-2003 12:51 PM

Here is a link, I think it tows much better than conventional ball and hitch. It depends on how far you have to go though

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=39446

Hot Duck 07-28-2003 01:21 PM

Raypanic : Thank you for the response. That project of yours looks fantastic. My project is just beginning, but I am really looking forward to it.

dlbCheckmate 07-28-2003 01:25 PM

Any time you spread the weight out you gain stability. I had two race car trailers, 42' each, one was tag and the other was a goose. I would take the goose anyday even though I lost space with the goose. However you do gain stability with the dually on the trailer. I think money no object I would combine the two -- Goose neck Dually. My .02

SLINGSHOT 07-28-2003 02:38 PM

I WANT TO SELL MY TRAILER ITS A 1994 TARGET TANDEM DUALLY IT WILL FIT YOUR BOAT AND IN GREAT SHAPE!

Hot Duck 07-28-2003 06:47 PM

ScottB and Slingshot: Please PM or e-mail me some more info on your trailers. Any pics would be great! I am really leaning towards a gooseneck dually unless somebody steers me away from it, but I may go with a tag for the right deal.

Thank you all for the input. Please keep it coming. Any more pictures of goosenecks out there?

East Coast B 07-28-2003 07:41 PM

Hot Duck, where are you at in OCMD?? I get down there from time to time, my brother has an extra dock that fits my 26 footer. We were just down there for a long weekend, sucked up a dammed crab trap in my duoprop, sucked tight between both props, had to have my brother come out and tow me in..... &^%&ckng crabbers!!! I was 10 feet off the channel bouy, no bouy on the trap..... got it off in time to limp over to Seacret's and enjoy the evening!!!