Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone had a trailer powder coated before? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55661-anyone-had-trailer-powder-coated-before.html)

buck183 07-29-2003 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Jan
I was thinking about Rhino Lining my trailer, any thoughts on this.

Jan

I may be able to help a little on this idea.

I spray bedliners for a living. The amount of chemical it would take to coat my trailer at my cost wouldn't be worth it for me to do myself. There's also an issue of getting EVERYTHING coated good. I don't think it's possible to get into every spot and crack and do it correctly. This coming from someone that has sprayed over 200 bedliners this year alone.

If it's done correctly it would be a good product to use. Although I wouldn't recommend using "Rhino". I would recommend using someone that sprays a hot, high pressure liner. The end result would be better.

Buck

Shane 07-29-2003 08:40 AM

Check with BruceK from the board. He is as HONEST as the day is long. He will tell you if it is worht it or not. I know several people he has turned down simply because the cost to them would not be worth the work. He is a GREAT guy and does fabulous work. I know several OSO members that have had fantastic success with Bruce. He is an OSO sponsor and his company is called Thunder Coatings.

Cignificant 07-29-2003 11:23 AM

I had my k-planes and some hand rails coated two years ago by a local shop. They had corrosion on them and were sand blasted. They are already peeling, and look horrible. I have also heard that the zinc-primer helps - I'll probably have them re-coated this winter by someone that has more marine experience.

buck183 07-29-2003 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Cord
Does that $300 include the blasting? For powdercoating to grab, the trailer must be blasted to a near white metal condition. Pretty tough and time consuming.
Tim...Price does not include sand blasting. I agreed to bring it to him alread blasted. I have a guy that does all the sand blasting for my shop that will do it for somewhere in the area of $75-$100. I still feel like I'm money ahead though.

Thanks for all the tech info and heads up guys. I'll check with BruceK and get some feeback from him on what I'm planning on doing.

Buck

Roger 1 07-29-2003 02:45 PM

Powder coating is very impact resistant but offers no protection against corrosion like a good epoxy primer would.
I would`nt do it.

Bad Girl 07-29-2003 09:10 PM

Powder coating is excellent against corrosion, that is why the auto manufacturers use it. But on used equipment, it is worthless unless the surface is prepped properly. If you are having it blasted and then taking it to be coated for $300, that is an excellent deal. - My husband used to own a powdercoating shop before selling it, and these are his comments.

buck183 07-29-2003 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Bad Girl
Powder coating is excellent against corrosion, that is why the auto manufacturers use it. But on used equipment, it is worthless unless the surface is prepped properly. If you are having it blasted and then taking it to be coated for $300, that is an excellent deal. - My husband used to own a powdercoating shop before selling it, and these are his comments.
Thank you for the reply. That was pretty much what I was thinking.

Buck

Roger 1 07-29-2003 09:50 PM

Auto manufacturers use powder coating in some instances to reduce costs, cut down on voc emissions and to reduce toxic waste. They still use epoxy primer ( E-coat) on body panels and other assorted components.

SLINGSHOT 07-29-2003 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Roger 1
Powder coating is very impact resistant but offers no protection against corrosion like a good epoxy primer would.
I would`nt do it.

total bull****:D

US1 Fountain 07-29-2003 09:53 PM

Wouldn't this require a BIG oven?