Notices

Trailer axle alignment

Old 07-25-2003, 01:12 PM
outlawntexas

Question Trailer axle alignment

Given all of the trailer knowledge on this board, I'd like to get an opinion on my "problem."

In short, my triple axle trailer holds an 8500# 342 Baja. I am wearing out my driver side front and passenger side rear tire on the inside tread only, in about 1000 miles. Right down to the steel cord.
I measured the centerline of the axles and they are all different, but off by as much as 5/8 in. from one to another. No way to adjust them on their spring packs as there is a bolt going through the middle of the springs and a minimal clearence hole in the axle mounting plate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bruce...

Old 07-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Every time I talked to a trailer place, they never knew anything about aligning axles. I did my by myself as best I could when I installed my new axles, which were bent, also causing wear like you stated. The actual spindles were bent up, causing that wear. I aligned them myself with a laser sighted level. I have about 800-1000 miles on the setup so far with new axles, new brakes, and new tires, and all is hunky dorry.

Do a search here on "Kodiak Brakes" for my thead.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-25-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have a bent spindle. Just went through this with one of my trailers
Old 07-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

PS... Where my torsion axles bolted to the frame, the bolt holes on the axle angle plates were elongated into slight ovals. This provided room to adjust. You might look into if yours can be done like this, or if you can elongate them yourself to adjust. Again, good luck in finding someone who can do this for you. When I aligned mine, I had the boat off the trailer, and all 4 wheels off, with the whole trailer suspended on jack stands. I lined the laser up with the plane of the front of the rotors. (Portion that touches the back of the wheel.)

http://offshoreonly.com/forums/showt...ghlight=kodiak

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-25-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:54 PM
outlawntexas

Thanks guys. Since my trailer is built in Lewisville (Dallas) it has Kodiac brakes (Ft. Worth). I spoke to the owner of Kodiac and he is VERY technical. Basically I get that these axles need to be aligned and parallel. Mine aren't.

I still have some confusion though. I can understand bent spindles. But if they are the cause of this tire wear, then my axle misalignment doesn't matter???
It tows fine. No swaying or anything.

Bruce...

Old 07-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check around for a local frame shop. They may be able to work on trailer alignment as well.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Third option... just slightly loosen all the nuts that hold on the axles, tack weld the nut in place so it does not come off, and let all three axles wander.

(Kids, do not try this at home).
Old 07-25-2003, 02:00 PM
outlawntexas

I contacted a mobile unit that was on the road ahead of me last weekend while I was heading to the lake. I called his mobile and he pulled over. After explaining my problem, he looked at the trailer and said he could align everything to factory specs within thousandths BUT, after looking at how it is constructed, said the axles couldn't be moved without opening up the holes on the axle plates to clear the spring pack bolts. He wouldn't do that for fear of liability if the axles moved and caused an accident.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Mine have not budged. I imagine they might if I back into a parking block or curb; but mine are fine. I am only talking about an elongation of about a half inch.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

If he is THAT good; have him elongate the holes, and then tack in a small spacer piece of galv. steel into the hole to keep the bolt where you want it. Cap it with larger washers on each end; the bolt, nor the axle will move.

Quick Reply: Trailer axle alignment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.