VIN# engraving or stamping?

Notices

VIN# engraving or stamping?

Old 08-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question VIN# engraving or stamping?

I'm looking for someone who can stamp me out a vin# tag for my trailer or engrave a few strips of stainless that I can screw onto the trailer. I was pulled over by a cop for a brake light being out on my trailer. BUT! as he was inspecting my trailer he began to break my stones because I have NO VIN# on the trailer I have the damn thing registered and all with title but of course the vin# sticker is so damn faded you can't even read it.

Any help would be great!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 stamp kits all numbers and letters
tool steel
Old 08-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I figure I can just get two vin# tags made and screw them right onto the side of the trailer with stainless screws.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strange how most trailers have stickers with vin numbers on there rather then a number plate rivited into the trailer like on cars
Old 08-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is just a sticker.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest to find stamping dies rather than a label. This way if the trailer does ever get stolen, you MIGHT have a slight chance of getting your trailer back.

When I was 5, my Big Wheel was stolen. Last year my trailer was stolen. I am still looking for my Big Wheel. I parker it at the bike rack in a Jersy apartment in 1971. I could not lock it because it had a solid front wheel. Ever since then, I have been looking at ways to make things harder to steal.

I would check Harbor Freight tools for dies or any good trailer company may have em. Stamping aluminum trailer should take five minutes.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarms
Maximum Audio Systems
Tampa, FL
Old 08-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my trailer under my old Eliminator. In Kansas, if you buy an out of state vehicle, it must be inspected by an authorized entity (local sherrif, city police, etc.) However, on a trailer, it must be inspected by the highway patrol. One of my buddies is a KHP, so he came over and read all the numbers as best he could, as they were also faded. He made an "official" metal tag, and used special rivets (like the ones used to hold VIN's on cars) to attach the plate. No more hassle, and the plate is there for good!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yea ANDY I know what you mean. Someone stole my Green Machine back in 1975. Now that was one hell of a big wheel. Bought it new from (Lionel) Kiddie City.

So does anyone know who or where I can gladly pay to have this plate made?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Andy is right Stamp the trailer in a couple different places..
Old 08-03-2003, 01:37 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Who built the trailer....You can always get them to send you a new one to replace your existing one. Ifthey send you a sticker take it to a trophy shop or as suggested earlier make your own. I would however go down to the highway patrol and clear it with them before attaching a homemade tag to it. Troutly could offer some type of cya advise I'm sure. Also when you speak with the manufacturer ask him where the VIN# is stamped into the frame at, there is supposed to be a stamped location as well as the sticker or tag for purposes of identity in case of theft.

Good luck

Quick Reply: VIN# engraving or stamping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.