Notices

VA Beach Atlantic access?

Old 08-04-2003, 01:46 PM
patrick22309

Question VA Beach Atlantic access?

Never been in the atlantic and thought I might give it a try with my 23ft stingray. Anyone ever use the inlet on the south side of VA Beach? I am wondering how big the rollers get during the tide and the best time to enter or exit. Anyone have any pointers?

Old 08-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best time to go through any inlet is between tide changes, this is the time when the water isn't moving much in either direction. Try for early mornings when the seas tend to be flatter. When tide is coming in or out, the mouth of the inlet will be the roughest point. I'd say go out just as your going into a change of tides, this will give you a little time out there to come back in when it's still changing. Nothing like running through the inlet.... we do it up in OCMD all the time at night and enjoy the boardwalk lights from the water.... Good luck! Take your time.... and be safe!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

RECKLESS 288 used to own a 230 SX 502 Stingray, I will email him this thread vice giving my 2 cents.
Bryan
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

WRT "Rudee Inlet" if it's during a low pressure front the seas loosen up quite a bit. Like mentioned above slack tide is best as the inlet typically produces large rollers from incoming surf and boat wake. On a nice day there will be no problem and sitting off the beach can be quite nice. I think just looking out at the ocean prior to will provide an easy judgement call.

Another location just a few clicks from there is via First Landing State Park formerly (known as Sea Shore State Park) which provides an access inland via 64th street on the northern end of Va. Beach that will put you in Broad Bay. It's sort of our salt water lake in the area and has a nice beach and usually lots of boats including Stingrays. Launch and head due east from that beach, and the channel will take you out past a series of waterfront restaurant/bars and to the ocean/bay via Lynnhaven Inlet. If it's nice, it's a 20 minute run around the corner south past Cape Henry Lighthouse and the resort beach. If it's not head back into Broad Bay and enjoy the safer waters...

If you'd like more of an idea of the area's layout go to www.maptech.com and type in area code 23451 and it'll give an option for a nautical chart, aeronautical chart, aerial photo and a topigraphical map veriosn with gps coordinates by moving the mouse.

Rick
Old 08-05-2003, 07:13 AM
patrick22309

Thanks guys this really help!!!!

Old 08-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Registered

And have a BIG anchor and tow line..... just in case.... communication of one sort or another to call sea tow just in case... take the phone numbers or know the local channels and take them with you in the boat.....
Old 08-05-2003, 07:36 AM
hauling ass-a

also hit the duck inn pull right up and have a great time!

Old 08-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Duck Inn beach poarty's are on Friday's. Chicks Oyster Bar just inside the Lynnhaven channel now has this great covered tiki-bar and new deck. Awesome place for a bar-side raftup and deck partying. Mucho additional places if you're really feeling aggressive on the boat....
Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

I will second Chick's. I have not been there in a few years, but great place!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Registered

Patrick: I've had a 230SX (a.k.a "The Red Menace".) I live minutes from an inlet to the ocean. I have been out maybe once. That boat doesn't like anything above 2ft. Great for the bay or lake. Be careful.

Quick Reply: VA Beach Atlantic access?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.