Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I need some help!  Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur? >

I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Notices
View Poll Results: What do I do about this unfortunate circumstance?
Suck it up, caviat empture, let the buyer beware?
64.29%
Ask for his monetary participation because he mis-represented the boat when specifically asked?
7.14%
If he is unwilling to help, drop it and move on?
26.53%
If he is unwilling to help take him to small claims court depending on the cost?
2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Old 08-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by magnum27
What made the repair break? Was it fixed with bondo or something?
Exactly. The glass guy was 100% sure exactly WHAT it was, but it was not glass or epoxy. Apparently, this shotty method of a quick fix has become rather common I have come to find out after doing some research. I guess the object is to make it look as pretty as possible and sell it as fast as possible. However, whoever did the repair did a fantastic job of painting over it and hiding what was an inferior repair job.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Registered

Man that sucks!!!!!!!!!!! He probably saved one to two hours by using bondo instead of glass. Maybe I just take to much pride in m work, but if it means that the job will take a couple of hours to do it right, then I will make sure to spend a FEW hours doing it perfect. NO BONDO!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Four years!

Statute of limitations on reps and warranties is gone.

The guy obviously forgot he lied to you. If you want to catch him in the lie then OK, do it.

But what's it gonna do for you?

I am amazed it held up that long, being Bondo.

Wannabe
Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Registered

Your justified in feeling decieved by being lied and the fact the guy didn't have it repaired correctly.

It's always been my understanding the repair should be as strong as when new or stronger if done correctly.

The guys not worth it.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Registered

I hear all of you! I decided to do nothing and just let it go. I thought I said that awhile back.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Registered

It's also possible the guy sent it out to be fixed and thought that the boat was properly repaired by a reputable place and that he never knew it was a crappy repair. Otherwise, why would he have told you about the repair anyway?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shane, I do think we used the right guy, I am very impressed with his work, lets see how it holds up at glen cove. p.s. I too was a victim of a shooty repair job according to keith
Old 08-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the question I would ask myself. Would I have bought the boat if the seller would have stated that he had a small repair on the hull? Would you have asked for a six year warranty? Another point to consider, is it possible you hit something in the exact same spot?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally posted by BenPerfected
This is the question I would ask myself. Would I have bought the boat if the seller would have stated that he had a small repair on the hull? Would you have asked for a six year warranty? Another point to consider, is it possible you hit something in the exact same spot?
A. The repair was not "small" and there were multiple. It appears that the illegitimate repair was originally about 3 feet in length, and over time grew to 6 feet. This ti me, is NOT a small repair. These repairs were done with automotive material i.e. BONDO and covered very well by paint.

B. Would I have still bought it? Depending upon the extent of the repairs and further inspection..maybe, maybe not. But then at least I knew what I WAS getting into.

C. Would I have asked for a 6 year warranty? NO! Why? It has been 3 years. Secondly, I would not ask for a warranty but again, at least I would have known what I was REALLY getting.

D. Did I hit something? NOPE! After reviewing the damage and discussing it in depth with the gentleman that did this most recent repair, it was definitely not a strike by a foreign object THIS TIME. The inner core was so wet and rotten that there was mold growing on it.

E. Question for you...would you LIE FULL WELL knowing that you were misrepresenting something when someone SPECIFICALLY asked if ANY hull repairs had ever been made? If I did NOT ask then I understand there is no obligation to offer information not asked for. However, since I DID ask, then being forthwright with the information is HONEST and RIGHT!

I certainly HOPE you would take the high road! Unfortunately, judging by the tone of your post it would be easy for one to conclude that may not be the case.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally posted by hugetime1
shane, I do think we used the right guy, I am very impressed with his work, lets see how it holds up at glen cove. p.s. I too was a victim of a shooty repair job according to keith
Glad Keith hooked you up. Have fun and see you at the lake soon.

Quick Reply: I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.