Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented? >

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Notices

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
AZDominator

Quiet Storm

I mailed my papers directly to the Coast Guard July 30. I just received my papers yesterday Aug 7. Not a bad turnaround time.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:50 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Curt
Hey Brad, the boat is documented and I do have up to date papers on it. My question is does that replace the title? Can you sell a boat with no title, only C.O.D. papers? That is where I am foggy. My title got lost somewhere in the finance/documentation process 4 years ago. I thought the bank had it but I did not get it back when I paid it off 8 months ago.

And to answer your question I really don't have immediate plans to sell the boat. Jan sent me a picture of a sweet 35 Fountain up in Charlotte that got me thinking "what if I wanted to trade?" I think I will hang on to the 32 for a while longer and enjoy the no payment routine for a while.
As I said before if you have a Documented Vessel the Certificate of Documentation IS YOUR TITLE, it is a national document so therefore you would have no state title. Yes you can sell it with your Certificate of Documentation as Troutly has stated earlier. Dont stress dude you are fine with the papers you have as long as they are current.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a service that applied for the documentation for me. The running papers do not have the documentation #'s on them. I'm going to call the service that applied for me. This is taking too long. Maybe something got lost.

My boat was documented when I purchased it. The dealer sent in a form showing that the boat had been sold. It didn't seem like a big deal.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Registered

In NY as are many states, if you register the boat and are issued numbers (ie: NY 6969 JN) you will be sent a title. If there is a lien, it will be shown on the front of the title with the name of the bank. You can still document the vessel. However the lien will also be registered by the USCG.
Then if you sell the vessel, you will have to have the bank send an original lien release to the USCG doc. center to have it released from documentation and give the release to the next owner or selling dealer in order to allow the next owner to register or document it.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Curt

And the verdict is..............

You do not have to have a title to sell the boat. Sean and Troutly were correct. I checked with my documentation service over the weekend. The C.O.D. replaces the title. In fact I found out that having a boat documented is a selling point. When you have it documented they do a title search, lien search ect. to make sure there is nothing owed on the boat. You know you are getting a clean boat. I have a friend who bought a 388 Hustler a couple of summers ago. When he went to sell it a few months later he discovered that HE owed several thousand dollars that the PREVIOUS owner owed on the boat. Had he had the boat documented he would have known that and moved on to another boat. Live and learn.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Registered

When I bought my Sonic it was a documented boat. I simply went online to the coast Guards website, printed a form, filled it out and sent it to them with like 35 bucks. Every year they send me a renewal form, and I get a new C of D. You DON'T need a documentation service. It's just that easy.