Notices

OT: Ford Superduty

Old 08-06-2003, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default OT: Ford Superduty

Might be getting ready to pull the trigger on an 03 F250 Crew Cab XLT Lariat 6.0 FX4. Have some questions for people in the know about the package I have been quoted.

There was some mention of a certain suspension package to look for on these trucks. Here is the truck I am looking at.

8800# GVWR Package
Camper Package
Rear Stabilizer Bar
3:73 rear end w/ limited slip

Is this what I need to look for? Or is there something else in the front/rear end that I am missing?

The sticker is $44,985

After incentives, rebates, and everything else I have been quoted 33k and change. What do ya think?

Buck
Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Registered

Troutly,

Here's my problem....current truck is being turned in this week due to end of lease. I can make it for a short time without one, but I do need something to tow the boat to LOTO for the Shootout. Could borrow if I wanted to but would rather not. The 04s are on the lot right now. But the price would go up at least 3k if not more. I need to buy before the end of the year for tax purposes. I don't think we'll see incentives like we're seeing right now until at least next spring. Obviously due to the new models now arriving.

I have owned GMs my entire life. This will by my first Ford. Funny thing is, I work on trucks for a living. Just don't know what to look out for on this truck.

Something else...I do work for all three of the local dealers and have a very good working relationship with all of them. I can buy any of the big 3 at invoice less incentives and rebates any time. The GM is just priced quite a bit higher. I feel like the Ford has the most bang for the buck. Don't bother with the "D" word here guys, not an option for me.

Please feel free to comment on package and price anyone and all.

Buck

Last edited by buck183; 08-06-2003 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a loaded 02 with the 7.3 diesel xcab 4x4 xlt... For a little extra, I went with the f350, it was only a few hundred bucks more. Also went with the posi rear. The back up sensors are great, really like them. My brother just bought the new 6.0 and so far no problems and loves it. What are you planning on hauling with it? Do you really need the extra suspension? Then there is always the dually...
Old 08-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Registered

Buck, The only thing I would find out is the difference between the camper package and the trailer towing package. I always get the trailer towing package but I don't know what the difference is, that may be the suspension package difference you mention. Like 105 said you could go with the cummins, it's a good motor I'll give them that but the drivetrain won't handle much higher horsepower that's why it's rated at 255 vs. ford's 350. You would't buy a new '04, 38 top gun with twin 330's would you?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I've been wondering if Ford ever considered making a marine version of the PSD. It wouldn't weigh that much more than a big block Merc. It has a mountain of torque., and can be tuned for more. It would outlive most gas 500-600 ft/lb torque engines. It's actual size isn't that much bigger than a comparable gas engine.

Why wouldn't it work?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Registered

105mph...sorry, just can't bring myself to do it. The difference in creature comforts between the two trucks are too much IMO. The GM is twice as plush as the Ford as it is. And the difference between the Ford and Dodge, well, I'll stick with the Ford.

East Coast B....I will be towing a 26' Scarab. Boat full of fuel with trailer weighs in at just a little over 6800 lbs. Won't be interested in the dually due to parking and wife driving it. I would probably take a single wheel 3500 before I'd take a dually. Good points though.

ofshore...I'll find out the difference between the two packages. Good question. I'm not a fan of the Dodge drivetrain either. Been around them enough to know that.

Someone had said there's a certain letter or number for a suspension package to look for at one time. Just can't remember what it was.

Buck
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Registered

When you buy the Diesel you get all the heavy duty towing and cooling that is available. Ge the posi, get the sway bar, get the rear back up....it is a life saver. As noted the 350 is a few hundo more and worth it. Get cab lights also. I have an 03 PSD X with the 7.3 and I had to add the cab lights and the sway bar. Get the back up sensor, really.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Registered

I tow a 26' also with my F350. There is no issue towing... PERIOD!!! Around here, if aren't going up a hill, your going down a hill. A standard 250 single rear wheel would tow your boat anywhere.... you don't need anything extra unless your planning on going bigger. If you do have some plans, go up to the 350 just for the extra rear suspension. I believe the camper suspension adds to the front axle for carrying those bed type over the cab campers. For what we're doing, you don't need that. oh oh oh .... one last thing..... see if you can get it without a hitch and put you own on... they give you a dammed class 3 hitch on a diesel truck..... get your own class 5!!!! That pissed me off!!!! Cab steps are nice as well, keeps the dirt under the truck. My sweetie likes the adjustable pedals since she is on the shorter side.... We love our Ford, it's the first ford I ever owned, always had Chevy's.... I really love the cab room, very room for the taller person.... Good luck and get the options you want, you won't regret it.. We got one of those norcold frigs that open on the top and put that in the xcab area.... works great for long trips to keep drinks and food in!!! One last tip, have them show you where the plug is to plug it in... bastard to find...... then put it out and wrap the cap that is on it around the front tow hook so it's easy to get to in the future.... then again, your in Arizona.... forget it..... we're not so fortunate.... YET!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ofshore
Like 105 said you could go with the cummins, it's a good motor I'll give them that but the drivetrain won't handle much higher horsepower that's why it's rated at 255 vs. ford's 350. You would't buy a new '04, 38 top gun with twin 330's would you?
WRONG!

40k right now with 350hp (rw/hp) towing the same boat as Buck in the summer and sleds in the winter. And that's with an 01. The new drivetrain is WAY better.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Banned

That's a great price.

Quick Reply: OT: Ford Superduty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.