Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented? >

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Notices

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Curt

Default Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

I bought my boat back in 98 in Florida. The previous owner signed over a title and gave me a bill of sale at the time. I financed the boat and documented it at the same time. This is where my memory gets foggy. I think I had to supply the title and bill of sale to the documentation firm I commissioned to handle the documentation. I believe they sent those to the bank...not sure though. Fast forward to this year. I paid off the boat and all I got from the bank was a letter stating that I had satisfied the note on the boat but no title. So my questions are these:
1) Does the Coast Guard hold the title?
2) Did the bank lose it? Or forget to mail it to me?
3) I have a copy of it, can I sell the boat with a copy?
4) Assuming the bank can't locate it how do I go about getting another one?
Thanks for any help provided,
Curt.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:50 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you now should have a Certificate of Documentation from the Coast Guard. It is the beige card stock that you keep with you that you have to put the new sticker on every year that they should be sending to you. The bank should have it financed as a preferred ships mortgage and liened that way. If you have anymore questions please PM me.

Sean
Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always go back to the firm that handled the documentation also they will have records there.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Curt

What do you use to sell the boat if there is no title?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last one I sold you just signed the back I got a new one this year no more stickers to stick on the old one.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Curt

Originally posted by fstboater
The last one I sold you just signed the back I got a new one this year no more stickers to stick on the old one.
If you sold the boat and signed over the C.O.D. to the new owner, why did they send you a new one? I am confused about this whole documentation process as you can tell. Doesn't the name of the boat stay with the boat legally according to the Coast Guard? And if so how does the new owner change the name of the boat?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You can also just use the satisfaction of mortgage and a valid bill of sale, The old documentation becomes invalid when the boat is sold, or so I was told by the USCG, as I am going through the same thing
Old 08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Curt....you simply notify the USCG of the name change, file the proper paperwork, and it is done . You can change the name of your own boat, too.

To make things easier, think of the C of D as a NATIONAL title/registration for your boat. The boat's history can be tracked through the document and the information on it.

When a query is run on the boat, it will show previous boat names (if any), ownership, any outstanding liens, etc.

You must keep the C of D with the boat and have the boat marked in accordance with the law (name, hailing post, official number) for it to be valid.

Now I'm confused

I have a 'Certificate of Title' on my boat issued by The State of Oklahoma. The exact title form as on my vihicles.
Title was issued this year (at time of registration) and will not be issued on any yearly basis.

I have never seen this national C of D?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

But this is OKLAHOMA too!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Registered

Not all boats are documented and therefore do not have the C of D. Some banks require documentation and some people prefer it so they do not have to display state registration numbers on the hull. It seems to be less common in the non-coastal/great lakes states.

Quick Reply: Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.