Capital Poker Run? Need specifics... >

Capital Poker Run? Need specifics...

Notices

Capital Poker Run? Need specifics...

Old 08-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capital Poker Run? Need specifics...

I beleive it's on the 6th of September but other than that I don't know or haven't heard much about it. Anybody got the gouge on this event plus any logistical info of getting there and in the water?...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://www.mdoffshore.com/
Great Run!! I really enjoyed it last year.

Most folks parked vehicles at Gravelly Point Park, just north of National Airport; off of George Washington Parkway. I will not joke with you, navigating in that park on the trailer is hell. However, Mark House did it with his 37 AT, and TomCat did it with their 36 Skater. The ramp, is nice, but steep, so high tide helps; but low tide still stays 4 feet deep or so, just makes for a long ramp. The park is not locked at night, as people go in to watch the planes. It is supposed to be "closed at dusk", and being so close to the airport, there usually is a routine police presence in there. I have never had any problems parking in there, with my entire rig. Once in a while someone gets a busted tail-light, but that happens. The place gets really busy with picnicers and folks fishing during the summer, but this date will tend to make that die off I think. Entire park is free.

You can also launch in Woodbridge, VA, at Leesylvania State Park, where I always go. Tide also helps there, as it can get down to 3-4 feet shallow at low tide. Plenty of big boats go in there with no problems. You will have about a 25 minute cruise up river into DC. This park is locked at night. Launch is $8 bucks, and overnight fee is $5 bucks extra.

There are also several other places to launch. If you can get on base, Bolling Air Force base is very convenient. Ft. Belvoir and Quantico both have marianas down south. Ft. Washington Marina is not bad in Maryland. Pohick Bay Regional Park is not bad in Lorton, VA; but can get shallow at low tide. Occoquan Regional Park in Fairfax County, is not bad either, but has a long no wake zone down the Occoquan out to the Potomac; and curvy road to get there.

In DC, when going north to Georgetown by boat, anything north of the Memorial Bridge is no wake zone, all the way into Georgetown Harbor. Not a problem, just a pain. (Next to monuments and Kennedy Center.)

Dockage in Old Town for the party was no problem. Nicely done. Party and food was top knotch.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-13-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://offshoreonly.com/forums/showt...ital+poker+run
Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just signed up for it. There are two other ramps in Maryland also if you want to come across the 301 bridge. We are at Goose Bay Marina in Welcome, MD. Launch fee is $7-8 and pleanty of parking in the field. Or you can go to Smallwood state park. Fee in the park is $5 (I think) with truck and trailer ($2 otherwise). We might trailer the few miles from Goose Bay to Smallwood to launch because it is closer to DC.

Rick - Let us know if you need any help. We can try to hook up and run together.

Patti and Bill
"Thunderstruck"
Old 08-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if there are spots left for this one?

I'm doing the Choptank Poker Run and the Cambridge races that month. Mind as well squeeze in another run. I've been trying to avoid Tim's this year, but you can't have everything!!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thanks Sydwayz, Bill & Patti. There's one poker run down here on the 22nd a few of us will pitch in and ride one or two boats in and we're contemplating trailering up to DC for this one the same way. Where do we get registration info with course layout, times, etc so we know what we're walking into?...
Old 08-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick - go to the website Sydwayz put up: mdoffshore.com. All the information you need is there. We did not do this one last year and are looking forward to it this year. We have not had the Black Thunder up in DC yet this year. The monuments are great to see by water. It will be a long run but lots of fun.

PM us if you want more info.

Patti and Bill
Old 08-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thanks, I'll check out the sight and give a shout if any more questions...