Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event? >

O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?

Notices

O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?

Old 08-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place to watch is from behind in the tower, with a cocktail or two.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I campaigned a Pro - Stock Camaro from 1987 - 1989 with the NHRA and IHRA sponsored by Benihana.This picture I posted was taken at the U.S. Nationals in INDY in 1989. I was in the field until the last session of qualifying and got bumped out.My elapsed time back then at this race was a 7:46 at 185 MPH and the bump was a 7:43.

I would say the best place to watch the race is near the starting line. Try to make it if possible the day before for qualifying and you will have a chance to move around the entire track and see the cars go by at the end of the quarter mile.It is an awesome feeling when the cars scream by you.

Regards,

JO - Pantera Boats
Attached Thumbnails O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?-pro-stock-indy.jpg  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EAR PLUGS EAR PLUGS EAR PLUGS

That's all I can say

What's great is when you are home that night you can still feel the cars going by as you sit in the lazy boy drinking a beer. OH and save your shirt It will smell like burning rubber and race fuel for a few days so you can sniff it to get a cheap thrill.

Nothing beats the smell of CAM2
I use to work at a Sunoco In Highschool God If I only had pictures of all the cars I pumped that CAM2 into.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey do you think I need ear plugs? HAHA J/K

I knew that would be the hot topic.....now just watch me forget them. We plan to move around a good bit...especially the day in the pits, thats why we got the last seats on the row. I was hoping it would go on till night but according to the schedule it's all day long...oh well I'll catch some night action some time or another. I'm assuming with this pit ticket I can just walk around all in the pits like I see them doing on TV huh?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Registered

I have been to many NHRA events. I have sat at the start line, 660 ft. and 1320 ft., and no matter where you sit it is a great event to behold. The sound in greater near the middle and end but the burnouts are good too.
Never been to Memphis but I am sure it is a great track because I have been to several other NHRA tracks, i.e. Gateway in Madison, IL., and Indy and each one is top notch as far as seating, right up to the track. NHRA puts on a great show especially when you are fortunate enough to be at a race that the Pro Mods are running an
exhibition. You should take ear plugs if you plan to video or take photos if not you just use your hands. Either way you should cover your ears because it is unbelievably loud.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually the first section on pit side is the vip reserved section .they don't let any body stand in front of you. only ticket holders in that section . i would not sit on the bottom row . prob go up at least to the 4 th row or up . this section is a good bit higher $$ and prob already sold out.In this section when every body stands up you can not see the finish line. unless your real tall.I always take a back pack to put stuff in . It could be cold and windy or hot . never the same there.

When we raced there we had a friend on the starting line that would let us stand next to the big boys when they took off. EAR PLUGS

The second section is where we usually sit .I cant remember if they will let you in with a ice chest? We usually race there so have full access to the pits. At $4 a beer gets tough. Bring some good shoes the return road is part of the road coarse and the cars will be parked at least a 1/2 mile from the start.It even has a back lot thats tied in to the air port .

I think they still do Friday nite qualifying. so you prob can see the flames on top fuel. At nite the shutdown area is pitch black no lites . its tough to see on a car with no head lites.Hers a pick of the Camaro there . Ill see if i can find one of the chevelle
Attached Thumbnails O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?-camaro-1.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 08-13-2003 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Registered

I was hoping we'd make it up for Friday night qualifying but we're not leaving till early Saturday morning. I'll be sure to carry a backpack full of stuff cause I plan on staying as long as possible. We're in the 1st section spectator side Sat. and 1st section pit side sunday. Both are up like on the 16th row so we should be ok. All the hotels in Millington were sold out so we had to get one in memphis which is only 11 miles away. Man I'm looking forward to this!!!