Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Just a note on Nickerson Performance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57085-just-note-nickerson-performance.html)

BadDog 08-15-2003 07:04 PM

Just a note on Nickerson Performance

This post is probably a little overdue. I sent my carb to them in the spring to have it setup for a blower motor. When I received it all I did was bolt it on and run it. Plugs were perfect. I did purchase all of the associated parts to complete the project from Dean. Used his cam so the settings for the cam/carb were compatible.

Had a little problem with the blower leaking oil from a shaft seal. Called Nickersons on my cell phone from the lake and he got the parts on the way. When I got home they were on the front porch and I was out on the river two nights later.

Whacked the outdrive so I decided to have the blower gone through while it was down for repair. Dean arranged repairs through The Blower Shop and gave recommendations etc. Dean gave me some good info on setting up my cooling system and suppliers for some additional parts which he did not carry. Customer service with Nickerson Performance is why I will always do business with them. With all the crying on the board lately I thought I should share some positive experiences.

Tim T.
Westport Ky.

X-Rated30 08-15-2003 07:52 PM

I know it is impolite to ask, but what was the cost per carb???

BadDog 08-15-2003 10:42 PM

If I recall around 400. The carb I sent him was one of his originals but had several parts changed out and other mods made so he had to start from scratch. As a side note I changed engines for another application and screwed around with jetting for days on end. Missed several nice boating days from "playing around". In hind sight 400 would have been well worth it.

Mike 35 Fountain 08-16-2003 06:27 AM

Nice to read something positive for a change.

And probably no one more deserving.

Dean built the motors for my boat, he's always been available to answer any of my questions even 2 years later. I have been to his shop, met his family and can say he is a stand up guy.

We should all have the knowledge and professional attitude he posseses.

RLW 08-16-2003 09:40 AM

I also sent my 1050 Dominator to Dean. I run the same setup as Tim T (B&M 250, single Dominator). My carb was originally a Nickerson.
I posted a thread a while back named, "To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference". Many responses from that thread. Some how, the Nickerson's caught wind of that thread and I received an e-mail from Dean to call him. He was ready to admit that over time he has learned more and that there were upgrades available for my "Nickerson Carb". I sent the carb to him back in February. He did make some changes that resulted in a very sweet running engine that behaves around the docks. I have zero transom soot, my plugs are perfect, and it starts beautifuly. I didn't have to touch a thing.
It was money well spent ($335).
I would recommend Nickerson Performance for all fuel system work, whether you're Supercharged or N/A, Automotive or Marine.
Russ