Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trans Am Rebuild.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57095-trans-am-rebuild.html)

HyperBaja 08-15-2003 08:30 PM

Trans Am Rebuild....

Friend sold his Honda and bought a TA!! 96 Formula, 115k, I was telling him about changing it into a 383, but could FI still be used? What would the approx cost be to build? Would the block need to be re bored?

Erie Desire 08-15-2003 08:39 PM

Give these guys a call. Speedomotive

mcollinstn 08-15-2003 10:32 PM

PAW has stroker kits. They sell em at stock bore size, too. FI can definitely still be used, but you'll need at least an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, an inline fuel pump in addition to the intank stocker and an aftermarket mass air sensor with adjustable output voltage would be a good idea, too.

A cheap scantool can be used to watch the o2 sensor reading at WOT and you can adjust fuel pressure to get it where it should be. Above a certain hp level, you'll need bigger injectors.

Read up in some of the good GM performance magazines.

BattleCry 08-18-2003 12:25 AM

There is so much more to do than pulling the engine. Pulling the engine on a 96 is a TASK in its self. In 96 the first scheduled tune-up is at 100K miles.

I would consider a different throttle-body or a shift-kit or cold air K&N induction or Jacobs Electronics ignition or a computer chip.

wannabe 08-18-2003 09:15 AM

Hyper

Check out LS1.com

This is a great website. Regsiter, it' free.

Your friends TA has an LT-1 in it. A great engine, but some things will need to be done to it.

1. 383 stroker kits are available, but espensive. do a search on the website.
2. The LT-1's have an issue with the intake manifold gasket; The EGR valve pipe feeds in atthe back of the intake and the heat causes the gasket to fail. Do a search on this also.
3. You will need different programming for the 383.
4. Keep the Fuel Injection thats on the engine.
5. My advice, skip the stroker kit and spend it on headers and a cam.

I have a 94' TA w/ 38,000 miles and the LT1 has great power and is a blast.

Wannabe

RUSSELLDEAN 08-18-2003 11:12 AM

Why don't you find a toothless redneck with a Jeg's catalog? I'm sure he could help! BTW it takes a fat wallet to build a 4cylinder as well!

Sydwayz 08-18-2003 11:38 AM

retracted

Cord 08-18-2003 11:47 AM

IF, he has the money, Lingenfelter is the company to talk to. They used to a foremost authority on them.

rainmn 08-18-2003 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
RUSSELDEAN... what kind of post is that??? Especially for your first. I imagine you make friends quickly.
He's actually just quoting HyperBaja's signature. In all honesty, I thought the post was funny as hell. :D

Sydwayz 08-18-2003 01:44 PM

I did not read the signature. Still seamed out of place. I retract my statement.