Notices

Verizon/Phone help?

Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Verizon/Phone help?

Ok My damn line house phone is all static when I pick it up. But I can get incoming phone calls no problem. I went outside to that box on my wall and I pluged in a phone to the test port and I still hear nothing but static. Does it sound like it's in the house or their line?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you unplug the wiring from the house and plug the phone directly into the outside phone jack and you hear static it is the phone companies problem.
Has it been raining a lot where you live???
Old 08-17-2003, 12:13 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

You either have a crossed line or a high resistance open.
Trouble is definately in the phone company's cable if you plugged into the interface on the side of the house and the trouble still exists...
Hopefully there will not be a strike and you get a quality technician to make the repair.......

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-17-2003, 03:43 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a question... do you have DSL?

If you do, are you using the filters they gave you? You need them to remove the static in the line.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have dsl and yes it has been raining here off and on. Yes I did take a phone and plug it in at the orange test port on the box outside and yes it still has static. Last week a repair guy from Verizon came out and wanted to enter my house at $90 + just to start and I asked him did you even check the pole in my yard? He tried telling me it was in the house and I said NO I'm almost sure it's your problem on your line. I'll call Verizon back again today thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They will ALWAYS tell you that. Get you to pay then fix their line outside. They are responsible for up to the house. You are responsible for inside. You do have to either disconnect all your phones from the system or you have to remove the wires from the outside (the prefered way to test) then plug in your phone. If you have static with the unside lines removed you are all set and call them up. You can also go to Radio Shack and buy this little device that they have for testing crossed lines. My guess is some place you have a crossed line.

Jon
Old 08-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have undergound phone lines, all I can say is good luck. I just bought a house in Manahawkin a month ago, and everything is underground. Out of the 5 pairs coming to my house, 4 were bad (Puls the coax for my cable TV and modem.) Not a problem for some, but I work from home, so I need 3 phone lines + the cable modem.
Took 2 weeks for them to get a contrator out with a horizontal boring machine to shoot conduit under the street to the nearest pod. Then another two days for a Verizon tech to come out and terminate the new cable, which was supposed to be done the same day as the new run. On top of that, there were no free pairs in the pod, so another two days for a tech to come out and clear paths to the pod. All told, almost a month to get my 3 lines all working clearly. Can you hear me now?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rainmn, I must live near you. I'm on Millcreek were are you. Otto
Old 08-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Otto - I'm in Deer Lake Park - right near Oxycocus school.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:50 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Capo71,
With all phones disconnected at the jack and the plug undone at the interface where the feed comes in, take a meter to measure resistance on your lines going into the house. First check for a short circuit by going across the pair. Then put one lead to ground and one lead to one side of your house wiring. Check both wires this way going into the house. If everything is good, then connect one phone at a time to make sure the phones are ok. Like I said, if you hear noise at the Interface the trouble will be outside. But that doesn't mean that is the only trouble. If a tech is also showing trouble in the house, unless you have the wiring maintenance plan, they will bill you if they come in.
Just have him prove to you there is a clean line coming to the house first before authorizing them to come in.
Also, you have other options with inside wiring, you can make the repair yourself or have another person such as an electrician repair it for you.

Rainmn, It sounds to me that you may have had a sprinkler system put in, or your neighbor did. These guys will usually cut the feeds to the house and half fast piece it together (sometimes) . All it takes is a small cut and then after it rains things start to heat up and breakdown the insulation on the wires.
The contractors do require 10 business days notice before coming out to replace the line.
This is because they need time for all the paper work to flow through the process plus they need to call for a Markout of all the utilities which they alone require at least 3 days notice. State law: "Call Before You Dig"
Sometimes I get lucky and a house is only 25 or 30 feet from the Pedestal with no obstructions. I will hand dig a new wire right then and there. It really isn't that big of a deal to do. I'm just slicing the ground and sliding the new wire in. It's not like it has to be 3 ft down or anything.....
Good Luck guys!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 08-18-2003 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Verizon/Phone help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.