Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powerplay vs. Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57170-powerplay-vs-cigarette.html)

JROMY 08-17-2003 10:38 AM

Powerplay vs. Cigarette

What is everyone's take on the 33 Powerplay vs. the 35 Cigarette? For that matter, throw in the 31 Sonic. Speed, cost, structural soundness, and most of all, RESALE.

Steve 1 08-17-2003 01:14 PM

I agree Too Old Having worked with Dan Personally on the Tooling and other things there over the years and the Idea has always been The best Job Possible. and Why not you are given everything needed and the Important ingredient Time..

The Guy is Picky it better be right..

Cigarette Well what do you say?? They are Miami we all were proud of them being here..

what a legend they have!! Their following shows it ..Cigarette is Cigarette Period.

Madcow 08-17-2003 01:31 PM

Are you thinking of buying new or used? If you are buying used the fact that Powerplay or Sonic have lower reslae value helps you when you buy. I don't know anything about powerplay, but I have a Sonic, and I can't imagine a much better built boat.

Steve 1 08-17-2003 05:28 PM

Madcow :I have never heard anything but Good about the Sonics..

They also have a very loyal following from what we see in Here.

A Modern Factory coupled with the latest building systems..that equals a good safe boat in my opinion.

SABER28 08-17-2003 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Well, I'd say Cigarette is hard to beat on resale.

As for the boat itself, in my very humble opinion, Powerplay is extremely hard to beat. These are produced in very low volume. Dan Weinstein builds every boat like it's for himself. This guy is perfection personified. And each boat is built under his personal supervision.

The shop is neat and clean and the molds are stored indoors and maintained to perfection.

If you're into T-Shirts, forget Powerplay. Dan is into one thing and one thing only. Building the highest quality boats available.

They certainly have less name recognition than Cigarette, but damn, what a boat!

check out the 34 SABER for sale in the classified.
Hell, i had to make my own shirts, and then gave some to Jim and Doug at SABER:D

Brad 08-17-2003 08:39 PM

My 2001 35 TS Cig with 500 EFI's has spanked a few older 33 Powerplays with big power. In the rough the Powerplays seemed to fly with the bow to high.

dkwestern 08-18-2003 07:54 AM

I have to say I am very impressed with my powerplay, and I put it through a pounding a couple weeks ago that I didn't really want to, but it handled big water very solid. That reaffirmed buying a quality for me just from a safety standpoint. I wouldn't want to be in 6-8 footers with a cheap boat that is for sure.

Sabre 28 were you in Leeland on wed. or thurs. I saw a 28 going through town, and I know there isn't that many around. just curious. Darren

JROMY 08-18-2003 06:49 PM

It has been several years since I've been in a Powerplay - how is the cockpit as far as room, freeboard, etc. compared to the Cigarette? Thanks.

VaporTrails 08-18-2003 11:38 PM

I'd like to chime on this one...

In many cases, you'll find PowerPlay owners have owned other makes of offshore powerboats previously and learned enough about materials, workmanship, and structural engineering to justify choosing a PowerPlay over other "name" brand boats.

Just my .02 cents.

Steve 1 08-18-2003 11:49 PM

Right Fred it was in the mid 90's Dan did a new Mold with the higher freeboard..