Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run - CANCELLED...Philly FUN RUN will happen instead! >

NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run - CANCELLED...Philly FUN RUN will happen instead!

Notices

NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run - CANCELLED...Philly FUN RUN will happen instead!

Old 08-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run - CANCELLED...Philly FUN RUN will happen instead!

Hello everyone,

It is unfortunate, but the NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run will be cancelled for this year. We WILL HAVE A FUN RUN THE SAME DAY SEPTEMBER 13th. (see fun run email for details).

USCG Group Philadelphia has a new Captain in place. The gentleman's name is Captain Jonathan D. Sarubbi. We have delayed sending out the Philly invites since we have been deliberating back and forth with the USCG.

The USCG denied our permit for our Poker Run based on the following reasons:
1. Wake damage that has occurred from similar previously approved events
2. Conflict with the USS New Jersey Battleship Regatta
3. The USCG wanting NJPPC to assume 100% liability for any damage that could occur during our event. NJPPC would not accept this request. They stated that our insurance should cover any damages caused. I expalined that we have 100% safety rate and that we would not accept every "tom, rick & harry's" claim for $200 for a scratch on their boat.

Instead of arguing the above points with the USCG, we have decided to go ahead and have a FUN RUN the same day as the Poker Run. NJPPC already advised the USCG that a fun run would be taking place and that a group of private boaters would be meeting at the Chesapeake Inn for lunch. I also advised them that the NJPPC would not be sanctioning this and would not accept any responsibilty for any boaters that day in the vacinity of Port Philadelphia.

FUN RUN DETAILS!

When: Saturday September 13th
Where: Delaware River
Time: 12 Noon Departure Off of Dave & Busters Marina
Lunch Stop: Chesapeake Inn, Chesapeake City, MD
Dinner: Chart House Philadelphia

Thoughts on the day:
1) NO REGISTRATION FEE - This is a fun run / not a poker run
2) Everyone will be on their own for lunch & dinner (split the bills at the tables)
3) Tentatively meet on the Delaware off of Dave & Busters around 1130am
4) Depart around 12 Noon
5) Arrive at Chesapeake Inn around 1pm
6) Have lunch on the deck (split the bills at the tables)
7) Run back to Philadelphia around 4pm
8) Meet at the Chart House @ 8pm for dinner (split the bills at the tables)

For the sake of trying to keep track of who may attend, please email us @ [email protected] and advise us if you plan on attending lunch or dinner so we can give the restaurants a "heads up" on a head and boat count.

Hopefully NEXT year we will be back on track with a Philadelphia Poker Run once again.

Marina Slip Accomodations: Philadelphia Marine Center 215-931-1000

Philadelphia Hotel: Comfort Inn Downtown 100 N Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA
Phone: (215)627-7900

NJ Launch Facilities: Dredge Harbor Marina 67 Saint Mihiel Dr Riverside, NJ Phone: 856) 461-1194
Old 08-29-2003, 06:06 AM
Registered

Dave, sorry to hear your poker run was cancelled, but I'm glad you're having a fun run that day.

Your members may want to consider the Rock The Bay Poker Run which is being held on the Northern end of the Chesapeake Bay the following weekend. You can find information on the run at http://www.rock-the-bay.com

Sunsation boats is a sponsor of Rock The Bay.

regards,

Dave

Old 08-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Dave:

We're In! Count us as two, possibly four (need to hear from Shane). We might just meet you at the Chesapeake Inn for lunch and then run back north with you for Saturday night.

Grumpy ol' Coasties..... Given the tsunamis generated by the tugs that fly around Philly unchallenged, that excuse is pretty lame. I don't suppose that they provided any specifics about the alleged wake damage? If it was 2001, the USCG needs to remember that THEY were the ones who forced us off-plane that year, creating WAY more wakes than if we had come sailing through at speed.

Now I remember why I moved my boat out of Philly.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Registered

There's always somebody with the attitude, " if I don't like it, you can't do it". And you are right on those tug wakes, I've come across them in Tampa Bay and it's a "hold the f**k on". Closest I've ever coming to stuffing Outlaw was coming off one of those damn wakes. And sometimes they're not easy to spot right away either.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Default Re: Dave:

Originally posted by C_Spray
We're In! Count us as two, possibly four (need to hear from Shane). We might just meet you at the Chesapeake Inn for lunch and then run back north with you for Saturday night.

Grumpy ol' Coasties..... Given the tsunamis generated by the tugs that fly around Philly unchallenged, that excuse is pretty lame. I don't suppose that they provided any specifics about the alleged wake damage? If it was 2001, the USCG needs to remember that THEY were the ones who forced us off-plane that year, creating WAY more wakes than if we had come sailing through at speed.

Now I remember why I moved my boat out of Philly.
Tsunamis wakes by tugs. LMAO But so true. Anyway as much as I wanted to have this run I'm glad dave is standing his ground and not giving in to these crazy demands. Carol and I hope to see everyone at the fun run and I'm sure that with the great people of the NJPPC this will turn out to be a great day.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default TUGBOATS

It was not a tugboat that caused this problem although I can see why there is some confusion.People told the USCG that a boat was going slow and making a huge wake.I have solved the case,it was a certain 38 BAJA.I would suggest that that the people that observed this scenario properly identify the culprit.The easy way to tell is that the tugboat has more fenders.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Registered

WOA! A shot across Baja Bob's Bow!

Everyone duck!
Old 08-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Dave, Sorry about the Poker run being cancelled. If you and your members want to come up to Glen Cove Long Island Run that weekend your more than welcome.. Tom
Old 08-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

other then past poker runs what other events have been held on the del river up that end? Did you have trouble in the past ?

all I can say Is I now know why they call the C.G. ( water nazi's)