Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I wanna go fast and be comfortable (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57388-i-wanna-go-fast-comfortable.html)

Von Bongo 08-20-2003 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trs Drive

Von Bongo 08-20-2003 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bravo XZ drive

CBR 08-20-2003 07:29 PM

My wife and I use our Sonic 30 SS to fish (yep) and cruise extensively in the northeast. We love it. Just got back from our latest cruise from Long Island to Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, Montauk, Sag Harbour, etc. etc.

Oh yeah, did it all in four nights. Cruised between 40 and 60 miles an hour. Try that in anything but a performance boat. <gg>

Last year we spent 10 nights on the boat and got as far as Nantucket. Battled seas up to seven feet, but if your wife does this, she may not ever go boating with you again. Likely a good idea to get full canvas with a plastic windsreen you can put up in a storm.

The good news is that with a narrow beam, many marinas will find spots for you that other "fat" boats won't get.

The bad news is that it is a real problem finding premium gas, so plan your fuel fill ups VERY carefully. In addition, you may want to get a hotel room and moorage, but often you cannot get them unless you reserve well in advance. Hence, you are going to be anchored or on a mooring ball. Best have a cmfy boat inside.

Personally, I would not consider any other boat than a Sonic for serious high performance cruising. Why? The non skid walkaround!! It is no fun dealing with anchor or dock lines in a storm and I'd likely be dead if the non skid walkaround on the Sonic was not there. Also, many of the boats mentioned have silly hatches. You need large hatches that you can climb in and out of easily. We have custom made screens that pop over the tops of open hatches so you can stand up and look out to see if you are drifting at anchor etc. Hatchmaster in New Hampshire.

Have fun, and you can read about the crazy stuff I have done with and to our Sonic at www.hyperfishing.com

1HYPER1 08-20-2003 07:30 PM

Try and find a 280 or a 320 Velocity,well built boats,eats up big water,affordable and alot of fun to run,all of the other boats mentioned are also very nice choices.Seriously I would look at Velocity.

john gov. 08-20-2003 09:11 PM

Hey CBR, that sounds like just my kind of boating...High performance cruising.
Question: In a five foot following or quartering sea, with an abundance or horsepower available, in a 30' Formula, Sonic, Cig, Velocity, Donzi, Pantera, Sutphen, Fountain, Powerplay, etc, what kind of speed can you maintain? John Gov.

CBR 08-20-2003 10:05 PM

I guess the answer to how fast can you go is going to depend on the wave spacing. If they are far apart, you aren't going really fast. If the waves are close together as they often are, you can go faster and scream right across the tops of them.

The answer also depends on your crew. At high speeds, you are going to fall into "holes" once and a while and that will get screams going from your squemish crew.

Sometimes in bad conditions I used to tell my wife to get inside the cabin and brace herself. that way she can't see how fast I am going. Now she sits in the rear seat as she can't see the scarier holes that fscare her (and me).

Of course the best way to handle bad seas is to leave the boat and take the ferry home or wait it out.

The worst seas we have been in were ten foot breaking seas during the tail end of Hurricane Kyle. That was no fun but we made it. Power up the front of the wave before they broke, and chop the throttles to surf down the backside. Minimum planning speed or even lower that time.

dreamer 08-20-2003 11:31 PM

just end all this debate and buy seans 35 cafe... you will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

dreamer 08-20-2003 11:32 PM

SEAN call this guy before he makes a misake!!

GLH 08-20-2003 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John,
You will not be disaointed with Sean's rig.
http://www.thunderboatalley.com/albu...35_b.sized.jpg

And here is a picture of my family enjoying our Cigarette same hull as Sean. If you want to try one you are more than welcome to come up to Burlington and we will go for a ride. Call me.

Peconic 08-21-2003 01:27 PM

John: I've been where you are coming from, and I are where you are going. My background is hardcore race sailing in Europe, Baltic and North Seas, mostly grueling, wet and cold affairs. I live on Eastern Long Island, Shinnecock Bay.

I had a 23ft little racy number. That's when the speed bug bit me. I wanted something for the Ocean. Montauk and Block Island on the outside. I got myself a 29ft Kryptonite and I am very happy.

I never sleep on the boat, I never used the potti on the previous one, the Kryptonite was ordered without kitchen and bathroom.

Speed: I know, 40mph may sound like alot when you come from sailing, but it really isn't a lot. Any new Grady can do that. If you like to go fast, you probably want to go faster after a while. And speed improvements after the fact are very costly. I'd get something that does at least 60-70mph under ideal conditions.

Sean: Great guy, great boat. His boat is at Falcon in Hampton Bays, close to the Shinnecock Canal. Recommended.