Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Rumor" GM Drops HP3 Project >

"Rumor" GM Drops HP3 Project

Notices

"Rumor" GM Drops HP3 Project

Old 08-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do think this is a bonehead decision ? If it is true. Every time I asked anyone how to buy one of these engines, they were not "commercially" available. No major boat builder is putting them in their boats for sale to the public.

Where is the business case to continue the development of an engine that no production builder has picked up ?

I may be wrong about all of the above statements, but GM is in business to make money. Period. If they do not get volume out of the motors, they will not make money, and the engine will die.

This may have been a test market program to see the potential demand for this type of motor. You have got to admit it is interesting that no major boat builder offers the engine as a factory option. Formula.....Fountain......Baha......PowerQuest.... .....? Do you really think a volume/production oriented company can build a business case on racing and the "custom" boat building industry ? I have my doubts.

I personnaly hope they stay in the business and give Merc. some credible competition. I don't have high hopes it will actually happen

Last edited by h2owarrior; 08-20-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

The pickup market is the hottest vehicle market going right now, Ford GM and Chrys are spending tons of money to get the biggest share. Throwing a few bucks to the boating industry is peanuts for them. They get the exposure to the boating community and have someone actually pay them to test there motors. Pretty smart deal I think. Does anyone really think GM wants to be in the boat business?
Ever watch the offshore races and see all the commercials for the trucks? Their called "Pro Grade" trucks. Ever notice what APBA/LLC calls there racing series?
These HP3 motors will probably wind up in there crate motor catalog, and after the contract is up they'll move on to the next best plan the marketing folks come up with. They all spent millions on drag racing in the late 60's, were are they now? Minor players.
Not that any of this is a bad thing, its just what they do.