Note to self: do not go swimming dressed like shark food >

Note to self: do not go swimming dressed like shark food

Notices

Note to self: do not go swimming dressed like shark food

Old 08-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note to self: do not go swimming dressed like shark food

Can you say "Darwin"? I knew you could...

Calif. Woman Killed in Apparent Shark Attack

Aug. 19
— By Gina Keating

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A woman swimming off the central California coast was killed on Tuesday in an apparent shark attack, prompting authorities to close the beach to swimmers while they track the suspected culprit -- a white shark.

The 52-year-old woman was wearing a full wet suit and fins and swimming near a group of sea lions (emphasis added) about 75 yards off Avila Beach, a small town south of San Luis Obispo, when the attack occurred.

Witnesses said they first noticed commotion among the sea lions and saw a fin slice through the water at about 8:15 a.m. PDT (11:15 a.m. EDT)

"The sea lions immediately and rapidly dispersed, and an upwelling of water occurred, and one witness said he saw a large fin," Chamois Andersen, of the California Department of Fish & Game, said. "At that point witnesses said they saw the victim thrashing around in the water."

Lifeguards conducting a training exercise near the attack heard the woman's screams and came to her aid, Andersen said.

The lifeguards tried to revive the woman when they got her ashore, but she was declared dead at the scene, a San Luis Obispo sheriff's spokeswoman said.

"Based on the nature of the wounds -- they were large and gaping -- we think a white shark (attacked her)," Andersen said.

A witness told a local television station that the wounds were about a foot in diameter.

Port and law enforcement authorities closed the beach and water near the pier. The results of an autopsy establishing the cause of death are expected in the next couple of days, Andersen said.

State game officials cautioned the public not to overreact to the apparent attack, saying only nine fatal shark attacks have occurred off the west coast since the 1950s.

California's last fatal shark attack happened in 1994, authorities said.
"Hey Sally, I've got a great idea! I'm going to go swimming with these sea lions, and I'm going to wear a full wetsuit so I look just like them!"

I also like this particular part:

The results of an autopsy establishing the cause of death are expected in the next couple of days, Andersen said.
Gee, ya think it might have anything to do with this:

"Based on the nature of the wounds -- they were large and gaping -- we think a white shark (attacked her)," Andersen said.....

A witness told a local television station that the wounds were about a foot in diameter.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

Sounds like a ''CHOMP'' wound to me.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey it's California they do things differently there is all..
Old 08-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Mad Hatter

Actually if you would have watched shark week last week you would know that it has nothing to do with what she was wearing. It does have everything to do with the fact that she was swimming with sea lions. The sea lion all took off just before the shark attack, all that was left was this clumsy thing swimming in the water. In the sharks mind this must be a sick sea lion that got left behind. One of the sharks worst senses is its eyesight which it only uses briefly just before and not during an attack, on anything. It uses other senses much more, particularly it ability to feel vibrations from a dieing fish or a clumsy human. Most sharks won't attack humans because they don't smell like fish (well most of us don't) but this woman after swimming with the sea lions probably smelled like a sea lion. Unless its a tiger shark, they'll eat anything once. They also have the most dangerous bite. Their teeth are actually more leathal than a great white's.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

The world has a way of weeding out the stupid people..
I know, It's not a nice thing to say..but, damn that was freakin' stupid.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 08-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

"I'm gonna go swimming with these sea lions..............can you hold my sign, i don't want to loose it!"
Old 08-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve 1
Hey it's California they do things differently there is all..

I hate to say it but you're right.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by Jesse James
Dead on the tiger shark bite (those serated teeth) and the flailing around was her dimise not her suit of scent. (maybe a little scent) If you have ever watched a Great WHite attack they actually have a protective layer that comes over their eyes when they attack.

Of coarse at 900psi the the great white is no love nibble
It snapped that lady's leg bone, no love nimble is right.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Mad Hatter

Anybody have any pics?