Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speeding ticket on lake?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57466-speeding-ticket-lake.html)

Whipple Charged 08-20-2003 06:34 PM

Speeding ticket on lake??

If you can believe this, I got a speeding ticket at the local lake, 50 in a 35! Got caught on radar, on the lake :hothead:! Gonna need to put my Valentine One radar dector on my dash next:eek:! Curious if anybody knows in the CA law, first, does it go on your DMV driving record (I know DUI's do) and second, where in the world can I find the laws of obtaining speeds on a lake in CA? I searched www.dbw.ca.gov and went through the entire book, but never found the laws of obtaining speed, closest thing was "approved sound devices" and how to obtain sound levels.

Any help would be appreciated,
Dustin

Gary Anderson 08-20-2003 06:47 PM

Only 50mph. I must admit, I'm a little dissapointed.:D
Gary

Allan4 08-20-2003 07:02 PM

MAybe he was still bringing the oil temps up....:D ;)

Some of the lakes in MI that I spend time on are 55mph lakes and idle after dark.....

nitro 08-20-2003 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We got stopped at the Scope poker run 2 years ago 135mph in a 35 mph zone. I think we woke up the coast guard guy, so he let us go with a warning (nothing a ride in a Skater cant fix):D :D :D

GO4BROKE 08-20-2003 07:03 PM

There may not be a speed limit. I got pulled over by the sheriff boat and was told there's a 35mph speed limit according to a town ordinance, been boating there 10 years, never heard of it. And most of the bay is outside town limits, which generally don't stretch across water anyway. He didn't write the ticket so I figure he just wanted to pull over the loudest boat on the bay.

Steve 1 08-20-2003 07:06 PM

California since that HTM thing they may be watching a little closer.

Sonic30ss 08-20-2003 07:10 PM

Nitro,
Now that is cool an even 100 over the speed limit.
That's a great story over a beer!

Havasu Cig 08-20-2003 07:29 PM

Dustin,

Post this topic on the Hotboat.net board. There are a few water cops on the board that might be able to help you.

There is a lake in San Diego that runs radar and writes tickets for over 35 mph as well.

Whipple Charged 08-21-2003 01:32 AM

At the local lake, theres a 35mph speed limit in the back area so we always cruise back really slow, boat falls off plane at 40. After about 4-5 miles, it opens up to no limit. Same cop has pulled me over 4 out of the 6 times that I've been out there, about $1100 in fines so far for stupid stuff. So needless to say, he doesn't like me or the boat. 100 over would be much more impressive :D

I was told the week before I should be hauled off to jail because I was racing somebody at like 80 or something but the officer that saw it was not there so they couldn't. I didn't want to tell them I went by a boat that was maybe doing 70 and I was flying right around 135!

Havasucig, thanks for the info, will do.

Thanks,
Dustin

JohnJan 08-21-2003 08:06 AM

Our laws in Austin are to "Operate your boat at a safe speed that will allow you to avoid a collision and stop within a safe distance.
Operate your boat at a speed that is prudent, taking into consideration such things as weather conditions, hazards and boating traffic.
Don't operate your boat at a high rate of speed at night or during periods of restricted visibility. (Maximum nighttime safe speed for the Highland Lakes is 20 mph or minimum planing speed.)"

No matter how I read these, they're vague and leave interpretation up to the enforcing officer.

I argued a ticket several years ago with the city prosecuter prior to trial and she offered me a lesser fine if I didn't fight it - she also informed me that the officer fishes with the judge regulary. I took the lesser fine.

Fortunately, there are relatively few really fast boats on our lakes and so it's not so much in the public eye. I still keep my eye out for the aquacops because even at 35mph (the speed I was ticketed at several years ago), it could still be a punishable offense.