Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention. >

NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Notices

NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Got the tabs. They look great Just have to find the time to install them. What size drill bit should I prep the holes with to accomodate the larger lags?

Dave
Old 01-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Default Victory trim tabs

Excellent, glad to here it!

The existing hole size is fine Dave, however, what you want to do is enlarge the hole through the outer skin of fiberglass only, to 5/16" on your transom to accommodate the larger hardware. That way there is no chipping to the gelcoat/fiberglass while turning in the lags. Here are the installation instructions sent with all Victory trim tabs:

Installation of your Victory Trim Tabs

All Victory trim tabs have been designed to utilize your existing trim tab mounting holes. Owners who currently have a single row of holes will reuse those existing holes and will have to drill their transom for the additional upper row of holes featured on all Victory trim tabs. Those with Bennett ST or HD series, Trim Master, Lenco or Insta-trim tabs will not be required to drill any new holes since these designs already employ two rows of holes in most cases.

1) Remove your existing trim tab plates. If you experience difficulty due to the type of adhesive/sealant used in your original installation it may be necessary to employ one of two methods to remove the tabs:

A) Use a fine piano wire to get in behind your backing plate and in a back and forth ‘sawing’ motion work the wire from one side to the other until the backing plate is free of the transom.

B) Apply a little heat (using a propane torch or heat gun) to the surface of the backing plate only. The heat will loosen the grip of the adhesive/ sealant and make removal of the plate possible. If you don’t feel comfortable employing this method please consult with your local marina/ rigger or feel free to call us for further advice.

2) (For those who currently have two rows of mounting holes, go to step 4)
Temporarily install your Victory trim tabs using the two outermost mounting holes. Carefully mark the upper row of holes on your transom using a fine tip marker.

3) Remove the tabs and accurately drill the mounting holes with a 7/32” drill bit to a depth of 1 ¼”.

4) Next, use a 5/16” drill bit to drill through the outer fiberglass ‘skin’ ONLY, to prevent chipping when turning in the larger mounting screws. (Do NOT enlarge the holes beyond the gelcoat/fiberglass skin) Usually, the gelcoat/fiberglass on your transom will be anywhere from 3/16”-5/16” thick.

5) Use a good quality marine adhesive/ sealant (we like 3M 4200 or 5200 sealants) to coat the threads of the supplied mounting screws and run a small bead around each of the transom mounting holes before installing your new Victory trim tabs.

6) Use a length of masking tape across the hinge to help protect the paint finish while tightening the bottom row of screws. Wipe off any excess sealant from your installation and stand back and admire your work. Job done, time to play!

PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION WHILE BECOMING FAMILIAR WITH THE WAY YOUR HULL RESPONDS TO YOUR NEW VICTORY TRIM TABS.

Last edited by martiniboat; 11-03-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brian, how are things coming with my stuff?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Hi Steve, things are moving right along. I'm currently 'mocking up' the gussets on the main plates.

I've got a few more things I'd like to run by you, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Brian
Old 06-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Originally Posted by ragtop409
Brian Them are sweet! dont know how I missed this when you posted it. 15 inches would be sweet my stockers are only 8 1/2 long Rag's
Hey seen you had some yellow single ram ones on e-bay a week or so ago. I was at the NYC poker run and could not get ahold of you. send me a PM on shipping to FL 33706 or I will call in the morning. Rag's
Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Hi Rag's

The yellow Victory single ram tabs for the Bennett system were a custom color for a customer. I just decided to include a picture on ebay to mix things up a little. (that particular auction was for the black powdercoated version but it's amazing what a little color can do) They really do standout and look awesome in person! Here's a bigger pic...

...shoot me your email and I'll send the 'full meal deal shipping schpiel' complete with a few options.

Talk to you soon.

Brian
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory-single-ram-yellow1.jpg  
Old 10-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

BLING BLING!

Victory Offshore Series for the Bennett dual ram application. 316L stainless steel. This will definitely make your ride stand out!
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory-oss-mirror-polish8.jpg  
Old 10-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Registered

another...
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory-oss-mirror-polish7.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 06:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for the kudos Fred! It looks like your tab mission is coming along rather well also.

I'm walking on pins and needles assembling this version since all parts have to be polished beforehand. I've modified my jigs a little to accommodate the 'bling bling' parts.

The contrast between the polished and powder coated tab is striking. The Martini will never settle for anything less than mirror polished now, I've spoiled her...
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory-oss-mirror-polish6.jpg  
Old 11-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Registered

Not to leave out the InstaTrim or Lenco owners, Martiniboat Marine Design Inc. is answering the call!

Shown here in vibrant yellow is the Victory 19" dual ram upgrade for the InstaTrim system by Boat Leveler Co. The InstaTrim actuators, as you IT owners know, are sturdy but relatively short (in comparison to a Bennett or Lenco actuator) and require an upper standoff bracket in order to run a 19" tab. This allows the proper geometry to be retained, read: 'ultimate strength'.

Like the Victory upgrade for the Bennetts, this kit is constructed from first grade 10 guage 304 stainless steel and has a perfectly applied powdercoat. It is designed as a simple bolt-on modification, no extra holes required (on the 10-bolt IT pattern lower mounting plate) and no hose cutting/ repositioning.

No more 'bent up' flimsy cookie sheets or 'marginal performance gains'. I offer you a 100% moneyback guarantee on this kit and ANY work that exits my facility for that matter. My friends, the days of high priced marine parts are in the rear view mirror! (or at least to the extent that I can control )

Enjoy!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory-d-text.jpg  

Last edited by martiniboat; 11-03-2004 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.