Notices

Gas Prices

Old 08-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all a scam....The talk on the radio stations here seem to tell the same story,BLACKOUT. So why over the last month has it jumped 30 cents? I remember 2 years ago Reg. was .96,now when its at 1.50 everyones screaming whata a deal. Thats exactly how they want us to be(Oil Co.). They know if it goes to 3.00 will still pay it......And they wanna know why the economy can`t right itself
Old 08-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Just Say N2O

With the surplus of lawyers our country seems to have, I am truly surprised that none have looked into gas price fixing in Western Michigan.

Almost like clock work, every other Thursday morning prices with jump at least 16 cents a gallons. Once you see one station up the price, within a matter of 3 hours at most every single station in Western Michigan has also raised their price by the exact same amount.

Back in Jan/Feb, we had record lows (for the past few years), paying around $1.20. Today regular went from $1.73, to $1.88. One month ago, we were paying $1.48.

Really messes with your budget when you are feeding 3 cars and 2 boats.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by craig223
Ours has gone up about .08 in the last two weeks I filled up the 'Burb last night 41.3 gallons @1.599
I hear ya Craig!!! Gotta love those 454's. It was nice meeting you this weekend. Was that you that I ran up on leaving the flats? We'll have to get together again.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Just Say N2O
With the surplus of lawyers our country seems to have, I am truly surprised that none have looked into gas price fixing in Western Michigan.

Almost like clock work, every other Thursday morning prices with jump at least 16 cents a gallons. Once you see one station up the price, within a matter of 3 hours at most every single station in Western Michigan has also raised their price by the exact same amount.
WOW The exact same thing happens here in Peoria Il. It is fairly regular that on Thursday the price of gas will go up. I watch crude oil prices very closely and it does not track with them. I have always thought that it was something contrived by the distributors in the area. It is interesting to note that it is also occurring in other areas of the country.

My fear is that these higher fuel prices (diesel has also gone up) will derail the fragile recovery we are seeing. It is historical that higher fuel prices will lead to a recession as people are required to spend a higher amount of their expendable income to simply get to work and heat their homes. I sincerely hope that the real cause of this is corrected and soon.

Is it the supply of crude oil......no....The supply/inventory of unrefined crude is at or near the 5 year average. Is it the demand for gasoline.....no.....that is down versus the 5 year average.....that is what an economic slow down will do for you. Is it a limited supply of distilled products....yes. The questions becomes.....is it a contrived supply squeeze or is it a limited supply of refining capacity in the States (that was exacerbated by a recent Western US refinery explosion).

I think the environmentalists of our country are in large part to blame for this situation. They all but stopped the erection of new refining capacity and forced the remaining capacity to produce specific (boutique) fuels for certain geographic areas which further hurts production capability.

I may be way off base and would love to hear some other theories. Sorry for the long rant....I just hate paying these kinds of prices for fuel..........fuel that our economy is based on.........

Last edited by h2owarrior; 08-25-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Well, our Sunoco supplier just called. Guess what? We got a load yesterday and it went up. Today it went up again 2.3 cents again!

89=$2.12.9
93=$2.23.9

And it may keep going up! We are feeling the crunch at the pumps. Demand is down here in Western New York. Since we pump a lot of 93, gee I wonder why? Could it be that it used to be $1.89.9?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filled the ole' truck yesterday...$1.359 ...oops diesel
That will probably be going up soon too. Last winter it was OVER preminm gas.