Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO Shoot Out Kicked Our Butts !! Good Story *READ* (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57654-loto-shoot-out-kicked-our-butts-good-story-%2Aread%2A.html)

Infomaniac 08-25-2003 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Cord
I ran on Sunday and the water was absolutly perfect. A slight chop with a gentle head wind. No rollers at all.
I am curious why the speeds were so low then.

Several smaller boats in our class capable of 130ish MPH

Infomaniac 08-25-2003 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
Shouldn't have been a problem if they can reach that speed on those waters in 1 mile from a stop....that is where a lot of people learn a thing or two....takes a lot of those boats longer than a mile to reach their top speed.

Look what Callan was able to do when they learned a few things last year and came back this year... ;) :D

I was referring to the smaller boats in my class.

Several of them 130 MPH boats running in the 90's

Does not sound like good water to me.

Cord 08-25-2003 10:51 PM

From what I could tell, all boats were running slow. I know that I showed 3 mph more on both the gps speedo and the gps handheld than what they showed at the gun. Guess it could be 20mph off as long as everybody is off the same amount.

JaayTeee 08-26-2003 06:23 PM

I'm thinking maybe I would have rather crashed and burned - trashed the drive - or blew up the engine than face everyone with such an impressive pass in a 130 MPH boat.
Hey, at least you did it.
Anyone that runs the shootout
put themselves in a big fishbowl,
because the recorded speeds are
broadcasted on the radio, and if it's
lets say, "not up to par", you have
quite a few spectators saying
" Geez, my boat could do better than that"
All I can say is....... then do it.
Driving a boat with a helmet on is kind of
a different experience, if you don't have a windshield,
you head is getting all torqued around.
Kind of takes you out of your element.

The radar gun was not kind to me either
this year too.
It was of 1-3 mph less per the gps,
previous years, it was less than 1 mph
difference.

Enough venting for now;)

jt

WARPARTY36 08-27-2003 01:26 PM

Infomaniac, what boat do you have? Where do you normally boat?

just add water 08-27-2003 02:14 PM

Great story!

There were some bad rollers out there, it seemed as though everyone had trouble at about the Budweiser banner hanging from the rocks.

Infomaniac 08-27-2003 02:42 PM

Originally posted by WARPARTY36
Infomaniac, what boat do you have? Where do you normally boat?
I was in this quad rotor boat. Probably the smallest one there 23'

It belongs to Randy Shipman Wagoner, OK

We are going to run it Thurs night at Keystone Appalacia Bay. It normally runs around Ft. Gibson. (The Island) on the weekends.

About the Bud banner is where the throttle bounced back on me. The GPS recall said it was going 98 at one point. Just a bit rough for a small boat.

jt29olhp500s you are correct about the helmet thing. I could not hear the engine to recognize why it was slowing down. Did not realize how much I rely on hearing for seat of the pants driving until I put on the helmet. I even left the visor up - wind shut it for me.
:D :D :D

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/...C00008-med.JPG

Cord 08-27-2003 03:08 PM

First time wearing a helmet for me too. Took a good 1/2 mile for me to get used to the wind pulling at my head and the different sound.

Trout-Foul had told me to aim for the gun, but I was having enough trouble just aiming for the finish line!

28Eliminator 08-27-2003 04:23 PM

Great job Infomaniac, it was nice seeing you run. I think it was just to big of water for that small of a boat.
My friend won his class with a 26 eliminator Daytona, probably due to the HTM crashing. The 26 isn't quite as fast as the 25, but seems to be a lot more stable and I think that is why he was able to go that speed compared to the other smaller fast boats. I'm not sure if you were in the same size class or not. He turned in 120 MPH a couple of times, but the GPS read 122.4 once & 124.6 another time. It turns out that he was hitting the rev limiter but couldn't hear it with the helmet on. If we had known that, we would have put on the 36P, but he was just trying to keep it in a straight line and didn't have time to look at the gauges.
Anyway congrats on the attempt, and I'm glad all is good.
Cord, Nice job as well. If I remember right you hit 106. Sorry I didn't get to meet you guy's, but I meet a lot of other oso members. Maybe next year.
OH and I blew a head gasket on the way back from the Big Dicks trip on Friday. Life goes on!

Cord 08-27-2003 04:36 PM

28-lol...you're memory is a bit optimistic. I only ran 82 (85 on gps). The prop slip is just killing my combination. But 106 sure sounds better! :D