Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
THANK YOU for making SOS so GREAT... >

THANK YOU for making SOS so GREAT...

Notices

THANK YOU for making SOS so GREAT...

Old 08-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up THANK YOU for making SOS so GREAT...

Sunday night, almost 10:00 p.m., and I don't have any idea why I'm still awake. We just had a tremendously successful Sarasota Offshore Showdown race. It was because of people who worked their ***'s off, and people who voluntered their time, energy, and patience to assist us. People like Jay from Georgia who trailered down, and ended up not only doing a tow/patrol, but offered to carry a "marine life observer" on board when mechanical failure forced another boat out. People like Steve from OSO who voluntered and towed a race boat in that BEAUTIFUL OSO Cigarette. People like Julie from St. Pete who towed, patroled, and was "a rocker". (I waited 4 hours at the Boat House to buy you those 2 GIANT BEERS I promised.) People like Brian, who did it all and set buoys when APBA didn't have a boat to set them. And meeting people like Cuda and Mrs. Cuda (Deb), and Baja Daze. People like Ron and Michelle Long from OPBA, who probably made the most noise in that floating condo in the basin Saturday night. People like Sara Rankin from JDRF who I think can walk on water. Thanks to APBA for bringing (according to public opinion) the best race ever in Sarasota. People like Mike and Lisa who spun a rod in their Baja helping out. People like Brad who offered his beatiful cruiser as my "Course Captain" boat when my port outdrive stuck itself in reverse. My wife Deborah for putting up with me. Thank God that Allen Campbell and his driver were not seriously hurt when they rolled in Screamin' Eagle. And especially to Anthony Puccio for making it all happen. Thank you to all of you who made this event one of the most memorable of my life. Thanks to you all.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The OSO family is a one of a kind. Ussually disfunctional but always willing to lend a hand and tip back a cold one
Old 08-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OSO and disfunctional people what a match made in heaven!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What Russ isn't saying is the race went so well because of HIM. He had a thankless job and he was tireless in making sure all the loose ends were tied up prior to the race. He was thrown a few curve balls at the last minute but he handled them without a hitch. Well, maybe one small hitch - and that was caused by my husband in Screamin' Eagle. After the boat flipped the standard procedure is that the turn boats fly a yellow cautionary flag. The spectator boat I was on was monitoring channel 78 to make sure my husband and our driver were okay. Suddenly the turn boats all chimed in: "What yellow flag? We weren't given any yellow flag!". It was a moment of levity in an otherwise very tense situation. Sorry about that Russ!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

We had a great time. I think the two races today were the best I've seen yet. We enjoyed meeting new people like Russ and Debra (Formula Outlaw), Steve Miklos, and finally meeting Steve (Board God 2).

Russ looked a little tired out at 2 am this morning at the Boat House.

I looked very tired out at 10:30 am this morning when I woke up with a head about the size of a basketball.

The only complaint I have about the event was the parking at the beach. Both days we had to park a mile and a half from the beach and walk there. It would be nice if the city set up some remote parking with shuttles.

We will be back at the Sarasota Hyatt next weekend for the Opba poker run. See you all there!
Old 08-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

See you next week! "Outlaw" as I kept hearing on the radio, you did a great job!!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time. It would have been nice if APBA had yellow flags to give us. They didn't. One unnamed individual offered to flag his yellow underwear (?????), but we didn't want the bad publicity. Looking forward to next weekends OPBA poker run. I hope "Outlaw" will be back up and running but don't know that situation now. Otherwise I'll be a "landlocked" card boat. Everyone be safe. And most important of all, Screamin' Eagle guys are OK. As is Mrs. Screamin Eagle.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Registered

Unbelieveable jo done by all at the races. We broke heading out to the start but still had a great time at a great venue. Thanks to all
Old 08-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Russ, What a job you and your peaple did. It was great meeting you on the docks sun.and getting a chance to taulk. If we ever get a chance to get OFFSHORE back in FT.MYERS again,you can tell me how you kept it all together. THANKS FOR A GREAT JOB. MEL and all of TEAM VIXEN P5-16
Old 08-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Russ,
It was a pleasure to meet you. All the hard work you had done was very evident in the weekend's activities. Thank you for that and thank you for helping us out. It really made out weekend!

Quick Reply: THANK YOU for making SOS so GREAT...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.