Like Tree0Likes

Wardens only wish they knew what a Top Gun was

Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Quote:
Originally posted by Cord
I just recently attended a poker run on Winnebago. I was dismayed when I learned that they were planning on running up river. They ended the drivers meeting with the DNR officer saying that his #1 priority was safety. Somebody called BS and asked why they wern't performing safety checks during their stops.

Sure enough, I got stopped. First thing the warden said was that "They've been having some problems with noise". Guess they don't have problems with poaching or drunk boating. Checked me for noise and issued a citation. Never asked if I had life preservers or fire extinguishers. Looks like the warden was lying during the meeting.
As is par for the course, they always have a hidden agenda hidden behind the vail of SAFETY and concern for us! BULLSH!T!!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Registered

This saga even gets better. They tried again over Labor Day. No tickets anyway. Maybe those wardens like a gal, running a Cigarette, in a bikini! I'll post a pic with Sheri's permission. She will be right up there with Lucy!Now, if the warden has any interest in young Sheri, I should warn him ahead of time. He'll have to triple his state wages plus add another zero on the end. This is one classy gal!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:40 PM
SheriTopGun

Wow, thanks everyone for the support. It's official, warden called my house AGAIN, even though I gave him my office # several times. He just wanted to let me know the citation was going to be in my name, as I was running the boat that day (DUH!). I do have major issues with him calling my house and yes I documented all of it. Court date is Oct. 9th, I intend to be there with pics/recordings, etc., all legit. of course.

The saga continues, last Saturday boating in Door County area, sitting duck in the water, thought we were clear, got to the dock, guess who drew the short straw. Mr. Warden, bullet proof vest and all, guess he's confused on the meaning of a Top Gun. He knew all about the citation in Green Bay and wanted to do a courtesy check. Well, guess what, we tested right on 86 BUT it's not right to do the testing at the dock so we would need to do a fly by "the way the test was designed". No time for that Mr. Warden, dinner reservations are waiting. I mentioned the phone calls at home from the other warden and this guy's look was worth several attorney fees. Thanks again for all the feedback, I'll keep you posted. Oh, I also intend to put together a very detailed letter of my incident along with any others to our wonderful Gov. of WI. to prove the revenue being lost due to these idiots.

Old 09-05-2003, 02:11 AM

Not that this will console you but Jeez, I can't believe what you're going through. When they first came out with the noise laws in NY - got pulled over in a Top Gun. Didn't have the reg to that but had the reg to one of the apaches. They wrote it up as a 41' and asked me what model it was, it was a platinum series gun and I just looked at them and played blond, "I don't know" so we were wrote up as a 41' Apache Platinum Series....... THEY KNOW NOTHING.... if they jumped on the platform and actually looked at the hull numbers they might have had a clue
Old 09-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Registered

My Boats: 98 Baja 36 Outlaw

They must recruit all these idiots from the same gene pool or something. We have the same type around here in Pa. Definately keep the answering machine message. That is unprofessional to call your house about the ticket. There is no need to do so unless he is hoping that you are gonna offer to do something to work it out. In fact, I would suggest that you file a complaint about him with his agency. It might not do much but at least it will get something on paper about the problem. It can come in very handy later on. Another thing, I would suggest getting the other performance boaters together and put pressure on the ELECTED officials to correct the problems of you guys getting harassed. Once they realize that their re-election could be in trouble, they will make the changes. Just my thoughts. Good luck with the cause.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 94 Apache Warrior

Yep, I see it is still going on up there in the Oshkosh area. That is why I will not do any boating on Winnabago or up the Wolf. I received my citation a couple months back. Went to court and requested a Jury trial. I am waiting for my date.
Mr. Warden is a real piece of work. I agree something has to be done. If you look back at my original post, you will see that I had contacted several of the state reps. regarding these same issues. We need to get a petition going to save ourselves. And it takes everyone, not just a few to stand up for our rights.

Little Tommy
Old 09-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Registered

Around upstate NY, my Checkmate was usually big enough to get the "officials" attention. I don't know how many times they pulled up right next to me looking for anything to write me a ticket over and then finally pulling away. After two years of this, I just happened to check my hull numbers after reading a bit of the NY State law because my numbers were done in color and with a pattern that wasn't the legal "Opposite hull color and perfectly straight". They definately could have written me for them.....to say nothing of the fact my vinyl guy who made them gave me the WRONG NUMBERS!!! No one ever noticed! Better yet, one night, after I started the boat up with Silent Choice LOUD, I turned the "Silent" mode on and headed out. Shortly after, the cops passed me (at night) running wide open (and nearly wiping me out) as they made a mad dash to find the "dangerous loud" boat somewhere behind me. I wonder how long they looked...

Anyway, the intelligence of some of these characters seems to be a widespread epidemic!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Registered

My Boats: 98 Baja 36 Outlaw

Ok, just to add my own story. A friend and I left the marina to go meet some other people at the "Sand Bar" a water front bar/club. We were going through the no wake zone at approximately 1130 pm. There was one other boat in the area besides us, which was going the same direction. I was putting up a 5" wake immediately behind my boat which soon dissipated into no wake. The "River Nazis" spotted this major violation and decided to stop us. We saw them pulling out and knew they were coming. I stopped and waited. As they approached, I went to assist them in tying up so that they didnt hit my boat with their metal bathtub and the one officer yelled to keep inside the boat. Once they tied up, I recognized the one officer on board. Turned out I went through the Police Academy with him. Now, I am always one to extend courtesy when it is warranted but the other officer proceeded to say that since we were stopped, he had to do a safety check. This after he knew what I did for a living. Of course it was no problem since the boat is equiped for Coast Guard Standards. He then asks me how much I had to drink. I had 4 beers all evening with the first one around 5 pm. I told him the truth. So he gives me a breathalizer. Best part was when I blew a .00 on it. He then backtracks and says that eventhough I had bloodshot eyes, my speech was fine and my movements were normal. Now, if I stop a motorist and want to make a DUI arrest, I need to show slurred speech, impaired motorskills and glassy bloodshot eyes combined with an alcoholic Brew-beverage odor. I want to know how the standards are lower for them. Afterwards we parted ways and as soon as I hit the end of the no wake zone, I jumped on the throttle.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Little Tommy, the day we were court you pleaded no contest, if you requested the jury trial you should have plead not guilty and you would have a pretrial conference on Sept 10th, the Jury trial should be scheduled for Sept 22nd. I'll let everyone know what happens with my ticket when this is all done. But just as a note, the ticket was originally 140.00, they have already offered to lower the ticket to 100.00,

What I think everyone needs to realize is that unless you ask for the Jury trial and load the courts up with the sensless tickets that are being handed out the situation is not going to change. Personally I could care less about the 140.00. The money is'nt the reason for fighting the ticket. If we don't all do something then we will continue to be harrassed.

And just a quick note, I'm not against mufflers, the problem is they are going after any perf boat they see and testing them, whether they seem loud or not. I recieved the ticket with Formula Silent Thunder, and they did not follow the proper testing procedures.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:59 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

I know some friends that were up on the lake and river over labor day. Two wardens in different boats, apart from one another with their radios. As soon as HP boats were in sight, they immediately pulled them over one by one and tested them.

My friend said that they offered him three different tests. One was the standard DB reading at idle, the others were drive by's. . . The warden said at this time, the only test they can perform safely is the idle test. One of the boats passed, the other did not. Since they were miles from their launch, they asked what they should do in order to get back to land, Warden said head for the launch and don't let me see you again without proper fix.

Warden even went as far to ask them if motors were supercharged?, switchable silent choice? and were are your required mufflers.

They asked the warden why all the harrassment?, warden said that there are a ton of new residential developments near the Fin and Feather Bar that occupy older people. Those are the ones doing the complaining.

Later in the day, they saw the one warden stationed just outside the F & F bar looking for more people.

LT, like yourself, I too am avoiding that area whether my boat passes or not. I feel the only fix to this problem is the local communities, businesses that will feel the $$ pinch when things die down. Money talks and those people have the local clout to pressure local politians to ease up on the enforcement.