Notices

Small cat project

Old 08-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Havasu can you point me to that other thread. Having a jet unload was something I was thinking about last night. This project might end before it starts. If it does we'll have to stick with the OB. With the boat being so short, around 10' it may get really twitchy.
mr_velocity- I looked for the thread, but it must've been archived- I'll keep looking.

I think someone built one once, and they had problems synching the thrust...made it a handful to drive.

Here's a thread on a dual jet installation on Ebay. Maybe Outlaw Marine could answer your questions...since they already built one.

Last edited by Havasu Hangin; 08-27-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

MR VELOCITY...I think you're making much ado about nothing...Make sure the kid (btw...just how OLD a kid are you talking about???) wears a life vest & kill switch (just like daddy should) & the prop is really a non-issue...I bought my kids a BAJA SCAT CAT w/a 25 hp JOHNSON when they were 10 & I allowed them to go solo at 11 after they passed MY boating test(s)...NO PROBLEM...Once we had it dialed in, it went 32 GPS mph & was a fun ride & VERY stable & predictable with NO bad handling traits...Of course, like anything, common sense is the rule, NOT the exception...It isn't going to blow over, throw them out in a turn, chine flip (barrel-roll), or anything dangerous unless they attempt something dangerously stoopid...It will "semi-stuff" but that isn't a big deal at 30 mph...It's fun!!!...Don't be one of "those" too overly protective parents that embarass themselves as well as your kid... ...Give em some rope...
Old 08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Registered

Kill switch is a must but a motor spinning 6000 rpm is going to take some time to wind down. The prop is an issue since I've seen real damage done by them when occupants have been thrown from the boat. My son, now 8, is a chip off the old block. He loves going fast and I give him all the rope he needs although I try to make it as safe as possible. He drives my 41 Velocity at 85 mph with me on the sticks. He complains that the boat is too slow. I don't think anyone would call me over protective. He started driving/throttling boats at 2 1/2 with our 15 Whaler Rage. He is now able to get both boats off the lift solo. There is always the possibility that the boat will hook and barrel roll. My concern is to make it as safe as possible as well as adding more HP to the boat. No doubt if we do decide on an OB it'll have a jack plate and a speedy lower on the motor. The plan is to paint it exactly like the race boat.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Registered

1984 Couger Cub 11' $600
It is in Ft Worth TX 817-441-6699
Attached Thumbnails Small cat project-mvc-003s.jpg  
Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

Any idea how to get that thing shipped to NJ? If I can get it shipped I'll take it.

Any teams coming from TX to the NYC race that could bring it up?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

1984 Couger Cub 11' $600
It is in Ft Worth TX 817-441-6699
Attached Thumbnails Small cat project-mvc-003s.jpg  
Old 08-28-2003, 10:36 AM
GeoGraphics INC

Cougar cubs were made that size so they could be sipped by regular carriers, they would ship them all over the country for about $400

Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

how much hp can it hold?

without sinking?

Does anyone else know of other "project cats" for sale in the 16ft. and under range? a 15' express cat would be perfect for what I am wanting to do, but I cant find one as a project anywhere, most are rigged and overpriced for my intentions

Last edited by THRILLSEEKER; 08-28-2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Registered

HEY MR VELOCITY...I can dig it...Our worlds' are probably more parallel than we could imagine...I agree with your kid...85 mph in a 41' VELOCITY is a yawn...85 mph in a 22' VELOCITY is exciting...85 mph in a 12' cat boat is insane but "do-able"...You can get the same amount of hurt in ANY of em at those speeds...it's all RELATIVE...That was my point on the jet vs OB/prop thing...If the boat rolls & he doesn't get cut by the prop but the boat lands on him, he's STILL seriously HURT...or WORSE...(God forbid)...Think of it this way...By keeping the boat "stock" you won't be spending way too much time rigging an unknown result...You & your son can do all the rigging/set-up/dialing-in/speed trix TOGETHER & at the same time (it FLIES you know!!!) "sneak-up" on the higher speeds as he "grows into" the boat...This set-up knowledge DOES apply to the larger versions as well so it will carry over when (like my son) wants a larger/faster boat of his own he will use all that stuff that he learned with you...(My kid just,16 years old now, just finished TOTALLY re-rigging a 21' RALLYSPORT that went (gps) 61 mph when he got his hands on it & now goes (gps) 69.8 mph as we speak...this was accomplished by things he learned about when we did his BAJA CAT...TOGETHER...)...Paint it up then work together to make it GO...You BOTH should have a helluva time for the next few years... Enjoy yourselves...BTW...I wasn't jazzin ya about overprotective ****e... ...I'll bet we could tell all kinds of stories that don't involve helmuts, life jackets, kill switches & ALL kinds of safety equipment that kidz have today that we didn't even consider... ...REMEMBER LAWN DARTS!?!?!?... ...LATAPOTATA.........
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by velocitoy
HEY MR VELOCITY...I can dig it...Our worlds' are probably more parallel than we could imagine...I agree with your kid...85 mph in a 41' VELOCITY is a yawn...QUOTE]

Most of the time yes, not in 4-6s He loves to go out and play in the Ocean. In the last two weeks he brought us home from Fire Island to NJ making the crossing using the GPS by himself. I lounged on the back seat for the second crossing.

Quick Reply: Small cat project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.