Notices

OT: I am really pissed

Old 08-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: I am really pissed

I thought I would cut some costs since I started the new business so when I brought the second line into the house for the business they offered a DSL line for $8 more so I said that I would try it for 30 days ( If I don't like it - NO charge )
Well the problem is it is damn slow and I just tried to hook back into the cable modem and the DSL program has F'ED with my computer and now I can't even go back. I had faster speed when I had dial up. 43K today on DSL- I get 1400 K on a bad day on cable.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you told them you wanted a business connection they F****D you from the start. One thing I learned the hard way, they charge me more for the business Sh*t and give me less every time!! They always say the extra money for a business status gets you better service but they have scr*wed me every time!!!

Now my RR is not considered business and I have less problems and get better service!! It's also cheaper !!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Clearcut, what phone company are you using?

Tinker---and what phone company are you using?

If you guys were to switch phone companies, who has the best service and most reasonable prices???
Old 08-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First rule of thumb...never tell anyone, phone co., cable co., etc., that anything in your home is for "Business."
I work from home full-time, but none of those 3 phone lines, the cable modem, or the unlimited long distance are under a business account.
Like clearcut said, they just charge you more and you get the same or even less. Sort of like when they call a part "Marine."
For what it's worth, I tried Verizon DSL a few years ago when it first became available in my area. Completely worthless at that time. They tried for 6 months to get it to work, and it never did. Occasionally, I could connect, but never any faster than dial-up. Back then, Verizon was not even close to being ready to support the technology. Not one single person I spoke to in those 6 months had a clue what they were talking about. I would figure they got much better since then.
Dumped it, got a cable modem, and it's been pretty much trouble free (And very fast) since then.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

I have an SBC DSL line here at my buisness and have had excellent service and support.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found in my area ussually the Verison DSL is faster then cable. I just swapped a guy over and he can not believe how much faster his set up it now. DSL speed also changes as you move away from their main hub. If you are to far away you can not get it. The way that I have found that DSL seems to work best is to run it through a router such as a Linksys. It seems to be much smoother and faster that way. As far as tech sapport they are not the greatest but neither is cable, so take your pick I guess.

Jon
Old 08-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

My DSL line is being activated today I hope I do better
Old 08-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally posted by KAAMA
Clearcut, what phone company are you using?

Tinker---and what phone company are you using?

If you guys were to switch phone companies, who has the best service and most reasonable prices???
I am using Road Runner through Time Warner cable and it is billed as "personal" which costs me $45/ month. I can't remember how much the business was but it was around twice as much. I am VERY happy with road runner. My speeds are usually around 2MB/sec communication speed and around 245KB/sec storage speed. These speeds are fantastic

As far as phone companies I am with Bellsouth for personal and business. My personal bill is about $70 a month and I have every possible feature you can have including voice mail. I can also call almost the entire state as a local call.

Now for the part where they screw you...my business line is about $80 a month with 1/3 of the features...If I call 15 miles down the road it is a friggin long distamce call . They didn't tell me this when I ordered and I thought the business plan would surely be in line with the personal, boy was I wrong.

Here is a good site that explains the difeerence in cable vs. DSL. Also you can test your bandwidth here.

bandwidth site
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Registered

DSL REPORTS can tell you have from the CO you're located and what you can expect for speed. I see 575K down and 192K up with my DSL connection. I'm 13,000 feet from the CO.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My BUSINESS line is the same cost as a private line. $21 per month + all the other garbage that they tack onto any line. My private line used to cost $28 per month. I switched over to IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD for $68 per month and that is for unlimited usage for any call in the US. Also includes call waiting and caller ID.

OH - the business DSL line is costing me $28 + the same garbage as stated above. Each outgoing call is about 9c. We will just use the other line for outgoing calls.

I brought in the bussiness line and told them it was a business line so that the name and # would be in the Yellow pages. That is the sole reason for the second line. I don't intend to advertize at all in the PAGES. Just having your name in their will get you calls when it is real hot or real cold outside when you own a heating and cooling service company. I can't wright off the cable to my computer but I can wright off the phone line since it is business. If I can get some desent speed out of this thing it will save me about $50 per month. Every $ counts. By the way speed is up to 153 K today. They are going to call me tomarrow to see what can be done.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 08-28-2003 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: I am really pissed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.