Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Poker Runs ??? >

The Future of Poker Runs ???

Notices

The Future of Poker Runs ???

Old 08-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to go along with Cuda. I love watching the biggest and baddest of the bad, but reality is unless I hit the lottery, that's a world I'm just never going to get the chance to enter. However, I enjoy a poker run as much as anyone on the water. My boat is broken right now, so I'm going to be a landlocked card thrower outer for the OPBA's Long Labor Day Poker Run tomorrow. And while it won't be the same as being on the water, at least I get to feel like I'm involved. I agree that the "grass roots" poker runs are what ultimately will keep things going, or the demise. People can have just as much fun running 60-70 mph. Sure we'd all like to blasting along at 110 plus, but for the majority of us that just doesn't happen. At the same time, we all want to enjoy watching "the big boats" go flying by. Sooner or later we'll catch up with them, we'll just have to drink faster back at the bar.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

When I went on my first poker run in 1992 I cost me $50.00 we had 20 boats that made 4 stops. We started in one place and finished in another. We all slept on our boats, and top prise was $300.00. And MAN was that a lot of fun! Now days you hafta fork over a minimum of 250.00 (I've paid as much as $1,000.00) Has to start and stop at the same place because god forbid if the trailer queens stay in the water overnite, let alone the "I'm not sleeping in my boat" guy's. And you can't make stops because who can accommodate 100 boats.
Yeah, it usta be a lot more fun.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

The proliferation of big money, silicone psuedo raceboats at the big events...is spelling their own demise. These folks/trailer queens who's "recreational boating life" consists of nothing but poker runs...are missing the point entirely! It's turning off the "everyday enthusiast". I've run several of the bigger runs before, last one in '99 (1000 Islands) and was proud as a peacock to have a 2nd place hand out of 150 boats. It was zoo, banquet begins at 7pm, I am determined 2nd place at midnight! That's an 18 hour day..not including the drive home! Big entry fees, fuel, and other expenses of the day add up to the kind of money that could support my recreational boating for WEEKS. It's tough when you can't write off the expense somehow, or the business/company isn't bankrolling the weekend! In the last few years it is clearly (the bigger runs) a $ contest/show anymore amongst people who, for the most part, don't even use their boats "recreationally" at all! I want to go boating/poker running with people that have similar "recreational" boating interests and lifestyle. You know..."Joe middle/upper middle class" who is fotunate enough to squeeze out the $ for a performance boat, does his own maintenece for the most part, and isn't just going to beat the hell out of it all day....because he intends to go boating twice this week after work, and spend next weekend overnighting with the wife and/or kids!! Our club runs are 10X more fun than any big event! This is where it's at folks...

Last edited by Rippem; 08-30-2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being in the boating business i don't have much free time in the summer.when i can sneak away for a day or two,i go to a poker run.i have been doing the PRA runs for nine years now,all around the northeast and CANADA.for the most part they are well thought out.there have been some glitchs from time to time such as US customs at last years 1000 isl run,and the fuel problem at this years 1000 isl run,but cosidering how much work must go into setting up events of this size i the that PRA has done a pretty good job overall.we are in the joe average group and only do these big runs with the help of sponsers.[JRECK SUBS]it is a real thrill to be able to run with the big boys.i think that starting the slower boats,like me,first,is the best way.then you get to watch all the fast boats pass you.if they start the fast boats first you never get to see them again until the next stop.there should be a restart at most of the stops to keep the boats a little closer together.i am also in two differant powerboat clubs in upstate N.Y. ROPA and the THOUSAND ISLANDS POWERBOAT CLUB.both of these clubs put on several events every summer.they are a lot of fun,and dont cost much more than a normal day of boating.these events are much more down to earth,and you can relax and talk to a lot of other joe average boaters like yourself.i like the big runs and the club runs.dont worry about who's making money or what mistakes were made.this is about having fun.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

sterndrivespec...coming up for the "Die Hard Run" next weekend? Pres. says it's on rain or shine. I have a full bimini/enclosure with this Formula...so I'm into it regardless!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't make it.we were all set to go on the 13th,but the change of date wont work for us.wish we could make it
Old 08-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

The date change actually worked (a first) for me and Dianne as it's our weekend off. Sorry you can't make it, maybe see you at the winter meeting/party. Take it easy.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron P
[B]As with anything, the more you do it, the less exciting it is.

I've been getting laid for about 25 years and it still excites me Gotta have one exception, right?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Registered

I think there's some truth to Ron P.'s quote even about getting laid! Unless she's new (used at our age) and different. The older I get..the more I want them all . I'm hoping someone will put this thread back on topic shortly......
Old 08-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Peconic
Folks, if you want real excitement that just gets better every time, stop playing cards, start racing!
Offshore Racing is a great sport and being a fan for over 20yrs - I will tell anyone, watching an offshore race with 50+ boats is an awesome sight for any spectator (new or not new to the sport).

As for "stop playing cards, start racing" I think the numbers show differently.

The number of participants at almost any given poker run (excluding the BOG events) exceeds the boat count of any local/divisional offshore race.

Why?
* At a poker run, the captain is not limited to just a throttleman and or navigator. The captain can bring as many friends and family members that the boat can hold and be a part of the action. In racing, family and friends get to watch the action from the beach and not the boat.

* At a poker run, for your entry fee that would be equal to or less than an offshore race, all of the captain's family and friends get treated to not just the action but Breakfast, Lunch and or dinner as well.

* At a poker run, a performance boat "newbie" can sign up and enter and just cruise along to see if they like poker running. The only risk they have is their entry fee for the day. If the same person wanted to race, they would need to invest in jackets, helmets, additional safety lanyards, pay hundreds of dollars to register their equipment and crews, and also duct tape foam over all pertruding objects on the decks of their boats.

* At a poker run, the captain can choose to run their boat any way they want all day long. The can let it all hang out for the first leg, then kick back and cruise the next leg or cruise all day long. Along the way you can "race" other boats or just cluster together with other poker runners and cruise as a group. In racing, it is sticks to the firewall all the way until everyone else in your class breaks then you can cruise it home.

* At a poker run, you can be a winner and go home with a check and trophy no matter if you have a 18ft. Donzi worth $30,000 or a 42 Outerlimits worth $500,000. No matter how fast or how much "doe-ray-me" you have, anyone can be a winner. In racing, the fastest boat gets the check & trophy - thats why they call it racing.

* You can take a boat on the poker run circuit for 3 years and well maintained the boat will look like it did from day one. A race boat after 3 years on the circuit and a dozen or so big seas races is a prime candidate for the fiberglass repair man.

* In Poker Running, you can attend 1, 3 or 10+ poker runs a year and it does not matter. In racing, if you do not attend all 4, 5 or 8 races (div. or national) you have a limited chance of winning a national title because every race you miss, you earn zero points.

Poker Runs all across the country are run differently. From NJPPC, NPBA, FPC, PRA, SCOPE, to MAPRA and many others. All have plusses and minusses in the participant's eyes. Some are more like races, some are more like rallys.

Poker Runs have been and will be around for a long time. Are there more events today than 5 years ago? Absolutely. The events that focus on quality and not the almighty profit dollar are the ones that will survive. I have seen a huge difference in the quality of Poker Runs over the last 5 years.

I in no way shape or form am stating this becasue I do not like offshore racing. I already have my hotel booked for Key West this year. I am mearly pointing out why people choose to poker run instead of race. If I had the money to have 2 boats (1 for racing and 1 poker runs) I would do both. But right now, it is poker running for me.

Quick Reply: The Future of Poker Runs ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.