Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Poker Runs ??? >

The Future of Poker Runs ???

Notices

The Future of Poker Runs ???

Old 09-27-2003, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Runs and Racing

I love both Poker Runs and Races. I have seen a drop in boats not only in Poker Runs but racing to. (Maybe it has to do with the rise of gas prices,money?)

I first started like anyone else helping out at the boat races, Patrol boat, Medic boat anything that would get me involved.

Then I was intoduced to Poker Runs, The first one I did was the Atlantic City Poker Run (NJPPC) and met some great friends (I WAS HOOKED)

I traveled around the East Coast with my boat Canada, Maryland, Kentucky, Florida, NJ and NY and enjoyed every minute of them.

I wouldn't race because I would not want to kill my boat, my wallet or have to race every race. There are times that I will pass on a Poker Run so I know I would not want to be obligated to race!
Attached Thumbnails The Future of Poker Runs ???-fcivitano202.jpg  

Last edited by Shanghied Again; 09-27-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Oh I forgot!

Freinds like this are priceless!
Attached Thumbnails The Future of Poker Runs ???-1000bay-035.jpg  
Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

classic frank!
Old 09-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Registered

Great Thread topic LEOPAJM!

I just dont like when 2 Poker Runs are on the same day, in close to the same area. I remember last year 2 runs on the same day bumping into each other at Kellys Island (I think it was Offshore Alley and Coastal maybe). It narrows the field, because you have to choose one over the other obviously.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Registered

I'm glad to read that Ralph Martin made this thread. He was the father of the Poker Run. He started it all for his customers to have fun with there boats and family. The after the run partys were the best. The games and awards were funny. The poker hand night the $$$$$$ would really climb for that best hand. Fun times. cb
Old 09-29-2003, 09:47 AM
RHC
Registered

Default Poker Run ==Fun

After some thought, supplemented with my Uncle Jacque Daniela here goes::

There are two types of Poker Runs. The first would be the local Club Run, produced by the clubs volunteers with the thought of Having Fun, making friends and playing with the boats,, these events started out being a lot of fun, however more and more we see them turning into faster boats and less and less comaradrie,, The price is normally on the low end and some lucky person walks with 1K to 2K in prize bucks,,, I personelly like the new trend of winner take all,, that way some one might win 3-4K and he/she is very happy,,, and everyone else knows that it could have been them.

The 2nd type is the Larger,, Permoter Run, with the bottem line being driven by profits,, sometimes under the guyize of Charity ,,, these events draw more Boats ,,, the see and be seen Guys,,, usually pay more prize money and cost a lot more to enter and travel too.

We do about 10 Runs a year and this year had a much better time at the fun runs with people that have a commen intrest in being in the boat, talking at the docks and running in a group, rather than trying to be first at the next stop...

In six to seven yrs of Poker Runs I have not seen any Wrecks or damage done by the Particpents (some close calls ) but for the most part People are carefull ...

I think the big runs will lose numbers (entrants) if they dont change the format. and with that drop off people will run with the smaller local runs ,,,

I dont mind travleing to new sites ,, I just like getting Value for my entry fee when its over..

RHC
Old 09-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Some thoughts from the middle-class-trying-to-save-for-kids-college person...

I run the NY Poker run every year. Why only that one and not the NJPPC runs who are the greatest bunch of people around? I CAN'T AFFORD MORE THAN ONE. There I said it. Mind you I'm no pauper with a waterfront home and all, but I do have a limited budget (ok so cry me a river with a 30' offshore boat). Besides, it's closer to me and it has the biggest spectacle factor. I have to do all my own wrenching to keep it affordable. I would love a fun run here at the Jersey shore, just once in a while.

I am GREATLY disappointed that the NJPPC can't do the radar shootout anymore. That was great, buzz down to the barnegat, hang out for a while and see the spectacle, and then buzz home, just the cost of gas.

How come there are not more fun runs put together by clubs and other organizations? You can ask why don't I try, but I simply don't have the meet the mayor quality of DaveP and his ability to organize (my hats off there). Billy Frenz puts on a great show, but that's a business for him.

I'm not saying do more or less Poker Runs... what I am saying is why not sprinkle a couple fun-runs or simple raft-ups into the mix?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks to me like there might be a need for two types of poker runs: The FUN run and the HOT run.
I enjoy both. We live where it is very difficult to attend ANY runs, so if you are overbooked with runs, consider yourself fortunate!
However, if there will be one thing that will KILL ALL POKER RUNS, it will be the IDIOTS cruising around on plane and at higher speeds with chicks (or anyone for that matter, just seems to be chicks the most) laying on their sunpads. Every time I see a picture like that, it makes me think that poker run days are limited.

Case in point:
Attached Thumbnails The Future of Poker Runs ???-predattor1oso2.jpg  

Last edited by SummerObsession; 09-29-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Shooter
How come there are not more fun runs put together by clubs and other organizations? You can ask why don't I try, but I simply don't have the meet the mayor quality of DaveP and his ability to organize (my hats off there). Billy Frenz puts on a great show, but that's a business for him.

I'm not saying do more or less Poker Runs... what I am saying is why not sprinkle a couple fun-runs or simple raft-ups into the mix?
Thank you very much for the kind words. They are GREATLY appreciated!

As for fun runs - the reason why there are not alot of ORGANIZED FUN RUNS is because of LIABILITY. #1 Reason. Plus if they are organized, they need to be insured (unless the organizing person or club wants to get raked over the coals if something happens). So, if you have an organized fun run, who is going to pay the $2,000 for insurance? 10 boats = $200 per boat just for insurance...that is nuts.

What happens on the Barnegat Bay is "informal fun runs" organized by NJPPC members on their own. NJPPC is NOT responsible for organizing, informing or planning for members. That aleviates the NJPPC responsibility. How do the people get to know each other? Doing NJPPC Poker Runs. People get to know each other on the runs and exchange phone numbers & email. Doing te events is the only way people get to meet each other. Other than our winter party in February.

So as for a solution to you question? Not sure?
But hopefully that gives some insight from a club's point of view.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Shooter
Some thoughts from the middle-class-trying-to-save-for-kids-college person...

I run the NY Poker run every year. Why only that one and not the NJPPC runs who are the greatest bunch of people around? I CAN'T AFFORD MORE THAN ONE. There I said it. Mind you I'm no pauper with a waterfront home and all, but I do have a limited budget (ok so cry me a river with a 30' offshore boat). Besides, it's closer to me and it has the biggest spectacle factor. I have to do all my own wrenching to keep it affordable. I would love a fun run here at the Jersey shore, just once in a while.

I am GREATLY disappointed that the NJPPC can't do the radar shootout anymore. That was great, buzz down to the barnegat, hang out for a while and see the spectacle, and then buzz home, just the cost of gas.

Shooter very well put. I am much in the same boat lately. I am forunate enough to have many great things in life as well, waterfront home, Skater and Formula, etc etc etc. But I too am limited financially due to the costs of maintaining two homes. I totally understand how you feel because I feel the same way. Maybe we can form a "support group". I am a NJPPC member. I could not agree MORE with what you said about DaveP. I wish I had half the endearing qualities of Dave. He has an uncanny ability to get his point across and even if you disagree with him you still love the guy. That is a trait only a selct few are born with, and I am surely NOT one of them! I have met some GREAT people via NJPPC and I would not trade that for anything. Although the NYC run is a spectacle, unfortunately I don't think the value received for participation is as high as an NJPPC event. Don't get me wrong, I really like Billy Frenz and the NYC run is one of the finest runs around bar none. I also realize he has HUGE insurance and overhead for his event and he has to make something, this is his business. Unfortuantely, $500 just for entry plus all ancillary expenses is bit high for my budgetary constraints right now as well. I have done the run in the past and hope to be able to do it again in the near future. Just right now, the budgetary belt has had to be tightened a notch or two and I had to take one of the more expensive events off the participation roster. So we will just run along at the tail of the pack and watch until we have a little better free cash flow. My wife has gone back to school for yet ANOTHER degree that will take 2 years and that has decreased our monetary inflow and increased the outflow! Yes I know that is the wrong direction! But sometimes you have to go back a few steps to go forward.

Quick Reply: The Future of Poker Runs ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.