Ordered My New Boat - 300x or 2.5 offshore- need advice >

Ordered My New Boat - 300x or 2.5 offshore- need advice

Notices

Ordered My New Boat - 300x or 2.5 offshore- need advice

Old 09-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is great information!

So big problems with your 300x's no problems with 300Pro's are they the same HP?

Why so many powerheads? high rpm's ,rough water or avg HP boating?

can you get extended warranties on 2.5's or 300's.

Guy's these seem like as much trouble as Big blocks.

Maybe I should put some 500's in the thing.

mcvatt: My friend is getting 108 in his 00' 30ft spectre. We are going to be setting it up to run a little faster with a goal of 110.
sounds like an awsome stereo.

Tom: Now you know i would be very interested in a Velocity. But I figure I get one when I'm in my 70's and its time to slow down...........dooooooh!!!! just kidding, still like the kitty!

Maximus
Old 09-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Mike,

I was running OK, put another gear case on, this one seems OK, no housing cracks, but had another P/H problem, not sure what let go yet, more then likely a rod. We will see, The boat runs great when all Cyl's are healthy.
Maximus. why the P/H problems?? I don't know, the Promax's were different technology. The X's are optimax technology, I think that might make the difference. The X's definitely have more HP, I took a pair of Promax's off, and put x's right back on the 32' Skater, boat ran 5-6 mph better, 6 mph might not seem like a lot, but it must translate to 60-75 hp more for the both motors. I am not sure of the HP,s of the promax's or the X's everyone seems to have different numbers, but same boat, same props, 500 rpm more = 30 to 35 HP, per motor??? IMHO. Extended Warranty? Mercury offers one additional year at a cost of $2,500 to $2,800 per motor, I think that was the price. In the North East 2 or 3 month season, pretty expensive 3 months. Powerheads are more though. 525 HP,s now you are getting the Picture. or (2) 2.5's 15" mid sections would be cool. I am not sure if the 15" will fit, maybe not,

Philip
Old 09-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Registered

Im shure it will be one bat cat. Good luck I want a ride.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Registered

I'm switching to Yamaha they will back their stuff up with warrenties
Old 09-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Hell Doug you could break a concrete block with a feather!
Maybe you could something from John Deere that would work
Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default you guys crack me up

I'm learning a lot.

Ok , how long until the first problems start to arise?

MMwalt, What speed did you say yur getting out of the 2,5's. are they 'Smokey'

Jack plates?? recomend?

Phillip, sounds like the promaxs were very reliable.

Why dosn't Yamaha make HP? I undersand they are very reliable.

Tom, You are always welcome on my boat. Isn't it about time you switched to a cat?

Maximus
Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you considered triple 2.5's? My 30' Motion with triples is a rocket. 114 on GPS. Would accelerate like a drag boat.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
ClockworkOrange

Default After reading........

I will be looking for a pair of motors for a 30 Spectre in the next month.
So I will be going through the same deal. Yamaha is releasing their 300,s this fall. I have already riddin in a 33 Hydra-sport w/ twin 300,s.. Not bad but I would want the 20" V-max version w/ low water pickups and nose cones. 5 year warr.

I have read all the posts and must disagree w/ most of the statments made in regards to the 300 vs. X. All I expeirenced has been the completely diffrent. The older 300,s were not great performance motor due to the design of the oil gear. Constant runs at high rpms were causing them to fail which resulted in fried powerheads. I have rebuilt many a 3.0 litre. I,d say out of 10/ 6 were oil gear failures. I have not seen the same problem w/ the X,s. However , The HPDI Yamaha,s have had their share with fouling plugs at low RPM,s. Solution there is easy, Run the crap out of it. Hard to foul a plug at 6000 rpm. Who knows.....

Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 09-09-2003 at 11:21 AM.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

Maximus I have 300promaxs. With fuel and 4 people it will run 104mph every day. best speed so far has been 109.2 with 2people and 1/4 fuel. Cruise at 4000rpm is 63mph 5000rpm is around 80mph
Old 09-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Firewalker

2.5's will give better response and reliability. The first 280 mercs has a few piston and bearing problems, that have long been solved, the 300X......................
A properly set up 280 is a VERY civil motor, more so than the 300X. I hear people rave about the top end legs that the 300X has, but reality is, how often can you stretch it out for those few extra MPH?.

If the oil mixing thing is a problem (it really is not an issue), G-Force Technologies makes a retrofit package that will convert 2.5 to electronic oil injection.......just like the 300X.

Gearcases, can and should be shifted while the motor is running, hell my 350 hp 10000 rpm 2.5 drag (modified) shifts like a 150, and idles at 800 rpm. The only gearcase that should not be shifted with the motor running is the XR6........and you guys would never ever use one.
The new fat shaft will never break........and they are the same on both motors.

Add to the fact that most of the 2.5 that blow are repairable, the 300x's tray and saw themselves in half.....and I have seen a lot.

And finally the "ratcheting dog" is the ability of the prop to freewheel while it is not under power, next time your boat is on the trailer put the motor in gear and spin the prop by hand, it won't turn one way and will "ratchet" (a clicking noise) the other

I hope that helps.

RT

Quick Reply: Ordered My New Boat - 300x or 2.5 offshore- need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.