Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program?? >

Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program??

Notices

Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program??

Old 09-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program??

Computer gurus help! I can't seem to keep my new roomate from using my computer. I now have several programs running on my computer that will NOT allow me to remove them. One is called Virtual Bouncer. When I try to remove it the computer tells me I can't because it's locked or in use. How do I remove this sucker!!

I am also getting ALL KINDS of popups now. One every minute or so. What a royal pain in the A$$. I need a good popup blocker.

Also, is gthere a way I can LOCK my computer so NO ONE but me can use it?

Mike
Old 09-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, not sure how you have tried to remove it.
Try this, if it is runninng do a ctr,alt,del to get to the close program function. Close everything that you think should not be running. You will have to do this repeatedly for each item you want to close.
Afterwards try removing them through the control panels remove function.
If that does not work you can do a search for items installed in the most recent days. Then delete the actual folder from windows explorer. This is not the best, but it can be done. You might have conflicts and errors, but may not.
Last choice is to do a complete restore. CAUTION, restore will erase EVERYTHING you have done. If there is anything you want to keep, favorites, pictures, etc, go in and put them one a disk or something. One thing I have had people do that could not put large files or did not have a way of storing things seperatly was to email the items to yourself, but do not reopen email until after the restore.
Each computer is different. I know you just got this computer so please read you manual for info.
Last but not least there are a couple ways to lock you computer, one is to break your roomates fingers!!
Second is to do a seperate login, but that still allows him access.
Third is to get into you bios upon start up and activate a master password. I have this on the laptop but never done it on a desktop.
Each computer is different to get into the bios, but most commom is F2, F8, or F10 key to press when it first boots. There is usually a cursor flashing just prior to fully booting. Read you manual to find out how yours operates. There should be a menu to turn on a password. Word of CAUTION, do NOT forget this password. The ONLY way to clear is it by doing a complete factory restore. You will LOOSE everything when doing a restore.
Now, I am no computer expert, but these are things that I have done and it works.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program??

Originally posted by Waterfoul

I am also getting ALL KINDS of popups now. One every minute or so. What a royal pain in the A$$. I need a good popup blocker.
Are you AOL? If so, go to keyword "Messenger" and d/l the small program that does pop up control. Otherwise, I'd recommend Norton Internet Security, which has a pop-up controller, and allows you to set parameters as to what can and can't be d/l'ed etc.....

As Fast said, you can do a system restore, especially if your OS is Windows XP. You can tell it what point you want to restore it from (like say, a week ago) and it will set your machine to the operating mode it was in at that time.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Registered

Mike, I've got a copy of Ad Aware that cleans most of that stuff off. Otherwise I'll be glad to come over and see if I can isolate it.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I seem to have gotten rid of the program using spybot. I also downloaded a free pop up blocker....but now I can't get into Kazaa because of it. Kinda bummed out about that. I usually sit here on Sunday's and download music. Any thoughts? Kazaa says it needs me to get rid of all the ad-aware tpe software in order for it to run.

Mike
Old 09-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered

Do you have KaZaa Gold or just the freebie KaZaa? I had loads of trouble with it too, and gave up, because I didn't want to pay for the Gold. Somehow, I had auto d/l'ed some stop sign program that was causing all kinds of havoc. It was on my old hard drive that crashed, but I never could get rid of it.

I use WinMX now, and at least most of the music on there is already in mp3 format.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:39 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only fools run regular KAZZA! its loaded with ****
Dont get me wrong the program itself is great so get the stripped down version at the link below
and if your running XP pro and your buddy is setup as guest he should not be able to install anything
the owner is the Administrator make sure no one else can install programs or change setting's

use Adsgone and Ad-Aware pro
Always use virus program from either
Norton or Mcaffe I see a viruses every week off
Kazza or any fileshare plus nowday's email is loaded
with them.

http://www.k-lite.tk/
Old 09-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Registered

KaZaa lite isn't XP Home Version compatible, is it?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Registered

Good thing to try if you have a program that will not uninstall. Is to boot your computer in to safe mode and try to uninstall it. I think you can get the safe mode to come up by hitting F8 when you computer is loading. That way you can take it off before it running **** in the background.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I have XP home and Kazaa lite works fine.

Quick Reply: Computer guys, how do I get rid of a nuicense program??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.