Any Hurricane Prep Tips for boats

Notices

Any Hurricane Prep Tips for boats

Old 09-14-2003, 08:22 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Hurricane Prep Tips for boats

As of right now, the track for hurricane Isabel appears to be heading right for US.

Although it is likely to change; what precautions can we take to help protect our boats from damage?

My boat is in a dry storage facility and I have no trailer, so it will have to ride out whatever happens. The building is rated at 115 mph. What precautions (if any) could I do to prevent any possible damage?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,645 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Bill R,
Hopefully no one will see the force of this storm, start by taking it very seriously, life and limb are more important than the boat...and this storm is packing 160 mph winds, rent a trailer and head west. have plenty of water, if the storm hits , you will be without, power and more than likely no sewage, and this can last more than a day or two, those large tupperware containers or 55 gal drums are a good way to store water. if you have a genarator you are in good shape , if not you may want to buy one before they are all gone. and triple in price. also fill up all the cars and truck, and boat as well. good luck
Old 09-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call you insurance agent...
Old 09-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced Andrew when I lived in So FL. I supply electrical equipment to power companies so I was very involved with the rebuild of Homestead. I can tell you first hand the only prep for a 160mph hurricane is to leave the area long before it hits, it's gonna tear up EVERYTHING.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Registered

Default Say some prayers that it fizzles out before landfall.

I was in Andrew's northern eye-wall. Never want to do that again. 160mph sustained winds spells total destruction. EVACUATE.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 160+ Mph start driving now! They are right, you can't prep for a storm like that except to leave the area of impact.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

Rent a trailer, and get out of Dodge. If that storm hits at Category 3 or higher, you're gonna lose your boat and everything else. Don't screw around with this. Drive west as fast and as soon as you can. I've been through a couple of bad storms. Until you've been there done that, there is no way to understand what they can be like.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tabs up and Drives Out!!! And HANG ON!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the ply-wood and screws in the world aren't going to help at 160+ mph winds
Old 09-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course getting out of dodge is a good idea, but short of that there are things you can do.

Of course you should provision up. The usual batteries and water is good, but remember the power could be out for a while.

Ice (a large icechest full) and charcoal are good to have. Your freezer will not be working and all of your meat will be thawing. You will need to BBQ it since electric stoves won't work. Gas is great if you have it. Not to make light, but hurricane food is great eating.

Gas up the cars, because the station's pumps will not work while the electricity is out.

First aid kit is useful as is vodka. (Good for antiseptic and drowning sorrows when the storm is over.)

Also, a battery operated radio or tv is a good thing to have.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Any Hurricane Prep Tips for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.