Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update >

APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Notices

APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Old 09-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't mind at all that the Worlds go to another place. Cities may stop taking the world for granted, and local promoters may stop thinking they own the Worlds. Competition is healthy.

I wouldn't even blink an eye if the Daytona 500 would move to Mayberry, I've seen worse.

What is highly problematic is the fact that there are two Worlds now, and that racers are forced to choose. This can only need to more fragmentation. Again, racers are used as a pawn. Very few will be able to attend both venues. Very few sponsors will pay twice the money. This isn't a zero sum game.

Racers and the public have been promised a race in Key West. They have taken their vacations, lined up their people, made their reservations, lined up their sponsors based on that promise.

Breaking that promise is violating the trust.

This year's Worlds should be in KW as promised. The city appears not to be married to Lee. Given the choice of vacant rooms and empty barts, they will make a wise decision.

The 2004 Worlds should go to whoever lays on the best event. Just let the racers know in time where it is. And stick with it.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally posted by Peconic
. . . .there are two Worlds now, and that racers are forced to choose. . .
actually there is still only one worlds and it is the race sanctioned by APBA. the other is the lee mills worlds which im fairly sure has no real meaning. correct me if im wrong but it is just a race outside of any point standings.

i do hafta say that i am sorely dissapointed about how this whole thing came around as i have already made unchangable plans to be in the keys. . . . thank god they have a great night life ( read as "stripclubs" )
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-17-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Asked and answered.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM
BDFREE

Who knows if LEE is even having a race.
The MAYOR of KEY WEST said he has not even pulled permits yet!

Old 09-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Peconic

What is highly problematic is the fact that there are two Worlds now, and that racers are forced to choose.
Originally posted by glassdave
actually there is still only one worlds and it is the race sanctioned by APBA. the other is the lee mills worlds which im fairly sure has no real meaning. correct me if im wrong but it is just a race outside of any point standings.
Actually, I think you're both wrong, there are three Worlds, two if you don't count the Key West race.

Week of Nov. 3 - Nov. 9 ~ SBI World Championship, Deerfield Beach, FL

Week of Nov. 10 - Nov. 16 ~ APBA World Championship, Orange Beach, AL

Week of Nov. 17 - Nov. 23 ~ Key West Worlds

Over the past few years there have been a few teams that have attended both the APBA and SBI World Championship. In the end, this move could actually hurt SBI more than APBA in that some racers may choose to attend the APBA and Key West races and skip SBI instead, whereas they may have otherwise raced both the SBI and APBA races. I'm not sure I buy that theory though, but that's what someone told me yesterday ...

If I were racing and had to choose only one or two of the races to go to, I would think that Key West would be losing out, especially if I had a sponsor who would not be getting any TV coverage in Key West!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree, and refer back to what GlassDave said.

APBA is the only U.I.M. recognized sanctioning body, and as far as I'm concerned, holds the only true Offshore World Championships, at least in North America anyway.
For those that race SBI, while it may not be recognized by the U.I.M., at least it could be argued that those guys have raced that sanctioning body all season, and regardless of number of boats, they still plan on and consider it their "Worlds".
As for Lee Mills, his race is not a "Worlds" by any means. Sounds to me like Lee wants to take over both APBA and SBI. If he can't do that, then he will take over which ever one he can strong arm. If that doesn't work, then he will basically steal a race from APBA, call it his own and throw up a banner calling it Offshore Worlds, then hope somebody actually shows up.
Problem is, if anyone did race with Lee Mills, it would be nothing more than a grass roots race with no points, no sanctioning body, (no insurance?), and no title for the winners other than his trophy. Of course those winners will have to pay dearly to attend their own awards banquet, but hey, they are nice trophies...

Last edited by Gordo; 09-17-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mr_velocity
There is only one, the one that is sanctioned by the UIM.
As of 4:10 PM Eastern today no sanction for UIM Offshore World Championships have been applied for thru APBA Detroit,
which is the only UIM recognized sanctioning body in USA. For contact info to APBA HQ.
http://www.apba-racing.com/Contacts.html

Last edited by Grin&Barrett; 09-17-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Amazing. Try to explain to a NASCAR fan how there are three different boats in the same class that all profess to be the 2003 World Champion...but they never raced against each other.

It just gets stranger and stranger. You just couldn't make this kind of stuff up.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Ron: That's just the U.S. alone. If you look real hard around the world, I bet you will find even more World Champions ...

Sounds more like World Champignons: Keep 'em moist and they'll grow everywhere ...
Old 09-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Jack a Voice of reason.

Quick Reply: APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.