Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update >

APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Notices

APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Old 09-18-2003, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what permits are required in KW but this was posted on Hyroracer.net, some permits were requested and turned down but permits were filed for and Lee Mill's isn't mentioned in the denial letter.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...&threadid=1227
Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
AUDIOFN,

AFTER ALL THE POST'S, WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT IT'S NOT APBA' FAULT LEE PULLED THE PLUG. IF THERE WAS A WAY TO STOP DON'T YOU THINK THEY WOULD HAVE..

TREADWELL
Eric I have no idea who's fault it is or is not. I have a feeling that Mr Lee was the one that strewed this whole thing up but that is strickly a guess. HOWEVER that being said APBA and Mr Lee owed it to the fans and the racers to make sure that the races happened in Key West THIS YEAR at leaste. APBA and Mr Mills should have made what ever compromises that they had to so that the races were WERE THEY SAID THEY WOULD BE. If that means that APBA has to drop the costs then so be it, if that means that Mr. Mills has to not be involved at all then so be it but this years race should be in Key West. After that if they want to have the races some place else then I have no problem with that. HOWEVER it is also APBA that has a LONG history of dropping race sites for this reason or that and taking off to go some place else or just dropping the race all together. This is done with no consideration to the fans or more important THE RACERS and the racers sponsors. When I raced back a few years ago our sponsors were always small local places, maybe a hotel that offered us a room, a small sports store that offered us a couple bucks or a place to store the boat, but it was all local places and it was ussually only for that one local race. These sponsorships have already been solidified for Key West (because unlike APBA most racers actually plan ahead)and they will have no interest in sponsoring a boat race any place else. So now the racers have to scramble to get new sponsors and that is just not fair to them IMO.

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In one of the other posts, someone mentioned a sanction fee of $150G's. Would everybody who thinks that Orange Beach, Al. put that up, please stand up? If they are giving away the biggest race of the year, why couldn't they negotiate the Key West for a few bucks less. They could end up with more bucks, I could go the Sloppy Joe's and everyone could be happy. Please don't try to tell me that MA and the other mercenaries didn't see this coming.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally posted by Audiofn
Eric I have no idea who's fault it is or is not. I have a feeling that Mr Lee was the one that strewed this whole thing up but that is strickly a guess. HOWEVER that being said APBA and Mr Lee owed it to the fans and the racers to make sure that the races happened in Key West THIS YEAR at leaste. APBA and Mr Mills should have made what ever compromises that they had to so that the races were WERE THEY SAID THEY WOULD BE. If that means that APBA has to drop the costs then so be it, if that means that Mr. Mills has to not be involved at all then so be it but this years race should be in Key West. After that if they want to have the races some place else then I have no problem with that. HOWEVER it is also APBA that has a LONG history of dropping race sites for this reason or that and taking off to go some place else or just dropping the race all together. This is done with no consideration to the fans or more important THE RACERS and the racers sponsors. When I raced back a few years ago our sponsors were always small local places, maybe a hotel that offered us a room, a small sports store that offered us a couple bucks or a place to store the boat, but it was all local places and it was ussually only for that one local race. These sponsorships have already been solidified for Key West (because unlike APBA most racers actually plan ahead)and they will have no interest in sponsoring a boat race any place else. So now the racers have to scramble to get new sponsors and that is just not fair to them IMO.

Jon

Jon,
Right on. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jon,

you're right. APBA would rather lose credibility with both fans and racers, throw away a buttload of money, cut their own throats and commit virtual suicide by simply throwing away the biggest race of the year rather than pulling that magic quick-fix out of their azz...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Originally posted by BROWNIE
Would everybody who thinks that Orange Beach, Al. put that up, please stand up?

I'm with Brownie! Could APBA have acquired their own city permits to salvage this? Too late now.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:14 AM
BTJ88

Unhappy

Jon,

You're absolutely right. Although APBA-Offshore may theoretically be winning battles with their seemingly aggressive, unprofessional and desperate ways - I really have to wonder if they're winning the war. The constant canceling races, changing races, fighting with sponsors and fighting with APBA (Detroit) in the name of "bringing the sport to the next level" can't be doing any favors for the sport.

I know they haven't won me over. I was planning on racing the pro series next year - at this point in time, I will be sticking to the GLSCS. It's just less headache.

PS. I'm not saying that this whole Key West screw-up isn't directly related to Lee, I just think things could have been handle better by both parties.

Your Monday morning quarterback,

Brian

Old 09-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Boat Girl

Unhappy

WOW...I have been sidelined from racing for most of the season and have not really been on the board in so long, but it is sad to see that some things do not change...The same old same old from the same sanctioning body, there is so much internal conflict there, that you cant just blame Lee Mills, it takes at least 2 to have a conflict and at least 2 people knew this was going to be a problem, one being Lee Mills and the other being APBA Mike Allweiss...
It is just a sad state of affairs and the people that suffer are the fans and the race teams...Kudos to Chick's Beach for stepping up to the plate and offering a venue that seemed to work very well for SBI, they obviously want to salvage the season for the race teams that have worked so hard all season...but I really wonder if they have the big picture...Is Orange Beach just a quick fix and an easy out for Mike A for 1 year only or as one article states that Mike A hopes to clear all of this up so he can return to Key West next year...Why not force his hand into solving the existing problems now so this does not happen...

Jon as always you hit the nail on the head, a lot of teams and local business have a one time sponsorship deal to make this happen, I dont see a local KW business giving a team money to race in Orange Beach...

And as Kitten said it is now too late for APBA to try and salvage Key West...The racers and fans are the ones getting screwed over 2 egos and a major pissing contest...Hopefully things will work out for the best...but its hard to see how...Pass the popcorn for another episode of "As the Prop Turns"

Old 09-18-2003, 10:21 AM
jackson_staley

Lets see, Lee Mills was on the board of the LLC all year, Mike Alwiess is the head of the LLC. Fees and rates are set in advance..... hmmmmm. Mike, no contract? Didn't your contract have a cut off date well in advance so if a site didn't pay other arrangements could be made, like a year? Piss poor planning again, and again, and again. How many sites will it take before proper contracts, performance bonds etc are required so this type of crap doesn't happen.
How many times do we have to read the same lame excuses from Mike and the APBA?
Count me out for KW and Ala. No spectating for me, maybe I'll go watch an unlimited race somewhere.
If I read correctly APBA signed a 5 year contract with Orange Beach, if this is true wouldn't this preclude APBA from returning to KW for the Worlds?
So all the s**t and hype battling SBI a few short years ago over KW comes to this? APBA gets SBI kicked out of KW so APBA could move in and then moves out?
Can I have the TV rights? This is better than ER or any daytime soap!
All the sanctioning bodies are dorks!

Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is healthy stuff. I race with SBI but I was very critical of their old ways (pre-new inspectors etc.) I'm still vocal when I smell a rat. I really don't care what letters are in your title.

I'm also not a fan of a unified sanctioning body. There are probobly 200 offshore teams and 32 weeks available to race them. Who really wants to race with 125 to 150 boats at each of 8 events? Only someone who never waited for a crane. Or the person collecting the entry fees.

My 1 cent worth of advise. Put on your race. Don't schedule on top of anyone. Standardize the classes and let us race where we prefer(J-Boy style). Get your house in order and pay attention to what you are doing. When you are consumed with the almighty dollar and destroying the competition, Key West happens. My business is 18 years old. I can't count the times I have had to lose on a deal because it was the right thing to do.

What the teams go through to compete is unbeliveable. We miss significant family events. Our businesses suffer and of course we risk our lives. The idea that someone, anyone is playing games with us is unacceptable. The comments on this board illustrate the damage we have done to our fan base. Sorry about the ramble but we are in need of a shift in focus. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.

Quick Reply: APBA/UIM Offshore World Championships Update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.