Notices

Insurance Help - NJ

Old 09-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance Help - NJ

Last weekend, I checked out a 27 Fountain that I am very interested in. Before going any further, I wanted to get some insurance quotes, which is proving to be difficult, at best.
My insurance co., USAA won't insure anything over 60 MPH. For that, they work with Progressive, who doesn't write in NJ at all. Several other companies I've tried who do write in NJ said no way to performance boats.
Sy's web site (Total Dollar) says minimum $50K value - boat doesn't meet that.
So far, I've only gotten one actual quote, from National Marine Underwriters - for $1700 / yr. This seems kind of steep for a boat vauled under $30K, that will be used 4 or 5 months a year, at best.
The current owner oly pays about $500 through State Farm, but he has a Philly address. They won't write a performance boat in NJ either.
Anyone have any recommendations, or am I dreaming that I'm going to beat that $1700 quote? My driving record is perfect - no tickets or claims in 15+ years.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:03 PM
MikeBaja232

I'm having some of the same problems. Most of the companies I've talked with won't insure high horsepower / high speed boats.

Who does every one else use?

Mike

Old 09-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, car insurance sucks in NJ, so why shouldn't boat insurance? Especially performance boats. We have some of the highest auto rates in the country, I am told. I got raped for car insurance from 17 years old, right up until I got married. As soon as I got married, I switched to USAA (Wife has a West Point family) and I was paying for two cars, less than half of what I had been paying for one of them. Go figure.
Maybe I need to find a 59 MPH boat. 60 is USAA's cutoff.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Steve_H

if you have a mercruiser engine try Boaters Choice.
1-800-763-1002

they are in bed with mercury and will insure only boats with mercury products.

288 sunsation , 40k agreed value , 63 mph
925.00/year

Old 09-16-2003, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Call Bob Luellen @ Worldwide Marine Ins. 1-800-339-1235

He is a good guy and he just insured my Cig. Bullet. His was the best price by $400 and the only one that had NO layup and NO region restrictions.

Craig Hall
Old 09-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the replies...I'll try them all. Of course, I'll have to wait until next week, since nobody is even doing quotes right now for the east coast, due to Isabel.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear NJ has a high sue accident rate that is one problem.

I had National Marine here in philly and can tell you they raised my rates 5 years in a row without a single claim or ticket NO reason at all on my behalf.

try to register the boat in Delaware do you know anyone who lives there ?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Reese Scott
IMIS
They are in MD, and are a broker. Give Reese a shout and tell him Brian Tillett sent you.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Capo, the way I understand it, you don't even need a Delaware address to register your boat there. Actually, the Fountain I'm looking at is already registered there, kept in Jersey, and the ins. bill goes to PA. Figure that one out.
What the agent told me is basically that they don't care where the boat is registered, only where the insurance bill goes. And no, I don't know anyone that lives in Delaware.
Not to mention, I don't want to give an insurance company a reason not to pay out if I do have a claim. They seem to come up with enough reasons on their own...I don't need to help.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Foremost Insurance. I had my 1995 Velocity 280/ (454 Mag 64 mph) insured through Inamar Ins & was paying $1860 a year. They also wanted a survey done when I bought the boat last year, and they wanted another survey performed before I could renew next year!
I just signed on with Foremost for $850 a year & they didn't even ask about a survey.

Quick Reply: Insurance Help - NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.