Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!! >

The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Notices

The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Old 11-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
Rich,

Explain to me why any venue would consider a race in the future knowing that the racers might decide to boycott?

Who can afford to take that gamble?

I'm not privy to what the disagreement was about between racers and the LLC and frankly, when looking at it from a promoters standpoint, I doubt it matters. What the promoters now certainly understand is that hosting an Offshore Race is more risky than ever.

Surely there was an alternative to punishing the Orange Beach promoters.
What about all the race site promoters that have said that a certain sanctioning body left like a band of gypsies not paying for city services they agreed to? Why is one particular sanctioning body in constant law suits with host cities and promoters? Call me crazy, but there is ONE common denominator here.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:19 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
Rich,

Explain to me why any venue would consider a race in the future knowing that the racers might decide to boycott?

Who can afford to take that gamble?

I'm not privy to what the disagreement was about between racers and the LLC and frankly, when looking at it from a promoters standpoint, I doubt it matters. What the promoters now certainly understand is that hosting an Offshore Race is more risky than ever.

Surely there was an alternative to punishing the Orange Beach promoters.
Good questions...all.....but consider this:

1. Orange Beach hosted not one...but two..... events this year...and after partnering with SBI...ditched them in favor of the LLC....they are hardly "innocents" in this mess. In fact they contributed to the "musical chairs" aspect of the sport.

2. I agree the sport is not predictable and won't be until a sanctioning body with principles, integrity, and traction emerges. Please face the facts........ That body does not exist at present!

3. The "breakaway" racers had legitimate......and long unaddressed .............issues with the LLC. They had no basis for loyalty(which must be earned...not appointed...or purchased) , nor did they respect the leadership(which also must be earned...not dictated).... and unlike some others...I don't place that blame at their feet..but rather at the feet of those who would lead.....and have'nt measured up.

Fred, I've been consistent in pointing out that there has been a problem in the sport and its leaders..... This is neither new...... nor solved. No amount of political jubilation, posturing, pandering, piling on, nor public relations...can hide the fact that the emperor has no clothes.

I submit that the next few years will be painful and, if no single core group emerges, with both the racer's and fan's best interests at heart..... the sport may fade to an asterisk in the history of marine motor racing..... The current sponsor/promoter first.... last.... and always... business plan...is doomed to be nothing more than what it is... a high speed infomercial.

T2x....wishing he had better news
Old 11-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally posted by BK
I am also glad that the Unlimited Hydro owners/teams/drivers are smart enough to keep their disagreements with the sanctioning body OFF of public message boards, and only deal directly with parties involved. Maybe from experience they know hashing out gripes in the public eye is nothing but UGLY. To both sides. It will destroy their professional status they've worked hard to build and even demean their own progress.

I agree!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 PM
BK
Registered

Most people should realize by now that there will never be a 'perfect' organization.

What may be acceptable business savvy to one, is considered ruthless to another.

A rule change that infuriates one, creates bliss for another.

What one calls "sticking up for prinicpals" might be called blatant arrogance to someone else.

Quest for success and prosperity within the organizations might also be percieved as insatiable greed to another.

Half are happy.

Half are not.

The half that are not will eventually ruin it for the others.
This is precisely the problem with boat racing.

And the cycle continues......
Old 11-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered

Wink

Fred,

I too have to agree with T2x. As well, I have been saying much of the same as he, only not in NEARLY as articluate a fashion. I guess there is something that DOES improve with age. There are a few things to keep in mind here.

1. Being a racer, promoter or sanctioning body, it is easy to point the finger at someone else as being the source of "the problem" which ever and how many that may be.

2. As someone like myself and others that have been around a while it is easy for us to comment from the peanut gallery as we have seen this happen time and again, and predicting likely outcomes is does not usually prove to be to difficult.

3. As fans, spectators or relatively new comers to the sport, it is easy to drink the Kool-Aid and follow the organization that your friends or fellow racers have recently chosen as the sports current savior and salvation. For some years it was APBA, or SBI, or OPT, or USO, or HFC, or...

4. For all of us it is easy to Monday morning quarterback all of this.

5. To execute CHANGE for the LONG-TERM good has proven to be a formidable task that no one has yet to overcome.

6. Over promising and under delivering is BAD business regardless of the industry and leaving someone else to clean up the mess is all to common.

What the people in SC did was show the sanctioning body that they have had enough of promises made and unkept, and effectively said if the sanctioning body will not do the right thing then they will no longer support them. At this point with the way things had fallen apart and the back stabbing that was taking place, they really had little in the way of alternatives left. This same thing has taken place time and again only maybe in slightly different forms over the past 14 years. Seems to me the bigger thing to be learned here is that the same model that has not worked for the last 14 years is likely to NOT work going forward, and screwing people (i.e. teams, host cities, investors etc) out of money and then suing everyone that has ever attended a race won't work either.

Here is my solution......SHUT UP AND GO POKER RUNNING!

Old 11-19-2003, 02:59 PM
rpusillo

The comments about Orange Beach contributing to the situation and dropping SBI for APBA Offshore are beyond stupidity!! Orange Beach has not dropped anyone or chosen any promoter over another. All that has been accomplished in Perdido Key/Orange Beach/Gulf Shores is that we have a Premium Powerboat race venue and will accomidate the best we can! No matter how the infighting works out we will be here to be on the schedule for legit races.

Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by BK
Most people should realize by now that there will never be a 'perfect' organization.

What may be acceptable business savvy to one, is considered ruthless to another.

A rule change that infuriates one, creates bliss for another.

What one calls "sticking up for prinicpals" might be called blatant arrogance to someone else.

Quest for success and prosperity within the organizations might also be percieved as insatiable greed to another.

Half are happy.

Half are not.

The half that are not will eventually ruin it for the others.
This is precisely the problem with boat racing.

And the cycle continues......
BK:

History is a product of leadership.....and leaders.

APBA( National) by and large has maintained a certain level.... never really soaring...never really sinking..... It is by definition a "member driven organization" and acts precisely as that, and as you have described. I am not talking about taking a vote on every topic.... I am talking about a clear eyed, focused, leader with both a vision and the integrity, determination, and resources to see his or her goal realized. These people exist...and they excel...... Gene Whipp had the best shot.. He had loyalty (given and received), enthusiasm, a natural team building gift, wisdom born of experience, and a vision.....but, it burned him out.....

We need a new Gene Whipp.........

There's a guy with dimples driving an unlimited hydro...at the moment...who just might measure up.

T2x
Old 11-19-2003, 03:18 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

OKEY DOKEY... There are obvious political problems..

NOW..Being that I cancelled both reservations at OC and KW it appears as though I really missed great racing and many craft at OC and am missing nothing (very few boats) at KW.

And that hurts since I have never been to KW and love the sport as a fan (Yes Kitten I may favor F-1 or A class), but lust for the super V's and Cats...

So how many boats are really racing in KW (please exclude mating turtles)..
Old 11-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Registered

WE'LL SEA! IS SBI PAID UP TO GARY? WILL THE LLC PAY THERE BILL LIKE THEY PROMISED, LIKE SHANE SAID THEY DIDN'T IN SAVANH. TIME WILL TELL. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THEY CAN HAVE A LONG TERM RELANTSHIP WITH ANY PROMOTER. I'M SHUTTING UP AND POKER RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by outer42; 11-19-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Registered

Well, Being that many fellow OSOrs are down in KW, it really doesnt matter how many boats are there. We know how to make our own good time.

Long live OSO racing Association

HOORAH...HOORAH..HOORAH

Quick Reply: The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.