Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!! >

The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Notices

The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Old 09-19-2003, 07:17 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I wonder how many people really would allow a customer to show up at the last minute and say "Gosh, I'm just not happy with that price....I'm not paying that much. But can I have it anyway?"

And then you bend over and say, "Well, gee, this is a last minute change. I thought we both agreed to a price? What a bummer, and now I'll be strapped for cash, but ok -- you can have it for far less than we had agreed to".

I doubt very many people here would tolerate a situation like that. If you did, you wouldn't be a very astute businessman. Every customer from that point on, would see you as an easy push over and would employ the same last minute tactic to see how much he could screw you.

I feel badly for all the racers and fans caught in the middle of this. But I also see the reason's why the sanctioning body had to do what it did, for the sake of integrity. It must have been an excruciating decision for them.

Last edited by BK; 09-19-2003 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:46 AM
lightningmike

The Worlds are OFF in Key West. There was a fallout between Mills and APBA. The Worlds are being re-located to Orange County Beach in Alabama??? Same dates as the KEYS at this point. This was the location of an SBI race.

Just officially announced yesterday was the confirmation by the MAyor of St. Petersburg, the Nationals being held in St. Petersburg after a 2 year hiatus. The goal is to next year make the Worlds in St. Pete.

These facts came right from APBA and I was present at the press conference.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lightningmike
[B]The Worlds are OFF in Key West. There was a fallout between Mills and APBA. The Worlds are being re-located to Orange County Beach in Alabama??? Same dates as the KEYS at this point. This was the location of an SBI race.

where have you been the last four days. This is old news.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

BK,
The racers, fans and sponsors are the customers. Your analogy describes a supplier problem.

And yes, you sometimes take a loss to make sure your customers are happy. No matter what kind of problems you have with your suppliers. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally posted by MitchStellin
Regardless of who is right or wrong, regardless how much money is being wasted on this fighting, it is just plain bad for the sport and could eliminate it entirely. I hate to see a great sport being dragged under by egos. The racers are here, the fans are here,the promoters are here, the advertisers are here, this is not rocket science. If you build it they will come. Now start building and stop destroying. The people who pay the bills..us as consumers...are done throwing good money at bad.
Unfortunately Mitch, offshore racing has NEVER been any different. Every few years someone new comes to town and promises the world, and under delivers. Through all the peaks and valleys the peaks have not been too high, but the valleys have been very low.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Shane, them are fightin words!!!! Just kidding, I was up late and felt like bashing....how are you doing? I know this will never be fixed but a clean slate would help. I just hate to see people jerked around. We get enough of that at work, now we have to deal with it at play.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Adivanman

Originally posted by lightningmike
The Worlds are OFF in Key West. There was a fallout between Mills and APBA. The Worlds are being re-located to Orange County Beach in Alabama??? Same dates as the KEYS at this point. This was the location of an SBI race.
Same dates as the Keys? Have they changed the dates again? MA has posted that they are on in AL Nov 10-16...KW is/was Nov 17-23.

Originally posted by lightningmike
Just officially announced yesterday was the confirmation by the MAyor of St. Petersburg, the Nationals being held in St. Petersburg after a 2 year hiatus. The goal is to next year make the Worlds in St. Pete.

These facts came right from APBA and I was present at the press conference.
So is St. Petersburg DONE? After the organizers of Tampa were unable to secure permits for their event, we are fortunate the St. Petersburg bacame an option. Less than a month to go.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally posted by MitchStellin
Shane, them are fightin words!!!! Just kidding, I was up late and felt like bashing....how are you doing? I know this will never be fixed but a clean slate would help. I just hate to see people jerked around. We get enough of that at work, now we have to deal with it at play.
You know what the fix is??????RX-1 BABY! Wish I had one. Brrn workin' a little on the SXR gettin' her ready. Will hopefully work on the Skater this weekend and run it this or next weekend. How are you? We ridin' together this winter or what? We have 2 trips to Canada already planned. One in late January, the second late February. Wanna come out?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

It seems very clear to me that the comments posted here on this site by Michael Alweiss are neither heresay, missinformation or un informed.

Michael Alweiss is still the head of the APBA is he not ? How can you have an event that is not sanctioned by the APBA and imply that it has any impact whatsoever on the APBA standings ? I just don't get it.

I guess it just proves that anyone can host a boat race.

Too bad for boat racing. Do you think network TV will cover Key West or Orange ?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:10 AM
BK
Registered

Originally posted by stevequick
BK,
The racers, fans and sponsors are the customers. Your analogy describes a supplier problem.

And yes, you sometimes take a loss to make sure your customers are happy. No matter what kind of problems you have with your suppliers. SQ
Correct, except in this situation, the supplier problem directly effects the racers (customers) and you will still end up with unhappy customers. If less money is agreed to, then the entire show will suffer for it and the racers will be the losers.

Transferring the race to another venue, with the same high standards that is expected, seems like the only feasible way to recover in this ugly situation. Caving in to outside demands that will result in a lesser program, with no TV and less prize money would be the worst option, IMO.

Quick Reply: The Key West OS WORLDS are a GO, by Lee Mills!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.