Like Tree0Likes

O/T Shocks

Old 09-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on and one blew after 5k miles. Leaked oil so must have lost a seal. It was replaced under warranty but I had to pay for labor as I had done it myself the first time but couldnt the second time. I didnt hit anything, it just failed under light use.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 85 Formula 302

Boot: that is good info. I don't offroad in the Excursion, just rough hwy's and heavy trailers. Is this enough to warm up the oil?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered

Chart, yes it is warming them up . Don't get me wrong . Nothing wrong with them ,it's just want you want out of them . On typical lifted 4x4's I build for people we like the ranchos. WHat they are better for is pot holes and such (or tree stumps ) ! They are a good compramize between handling and off road comfort . The only down side is the more you run , the hotter they get , and the less effective they are . They get mushy ..... The adjustable ones are good because you can turn them up !

The Billsteins and dostechs I speak of for highway use and towing ,are more rigid. Ever drive a corvette or porche ? These shocks are made for handling, controlling motion and limiting body roll in turns . So it's all in what you need . Do you want your truck to handle like a Porche and hold that big trailer stable , or do you need to fly down bumpy roads and not rattle your teeth ?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Registered

Mr. Demeaner, I am NO fan of Edlebrock shocks or Shyjackers either . I have swapped out alot of them for people . Joe
Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

Monroe Gas Magnums
or
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT

both essentially the same shock, just different color.
Usually found on sale for $19.99 to $24.99

Good bargain.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Advantage 28' Cat

sweet troutly
Thanks for the input

Thinking about going with a set of bilstiens and the Firestone ride rights on the rear for added support

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2003, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey boot and MrDemeanor, thanks for the feedback on the Edelbrocks. I really liked them on my Yukon, but after hearing your stories, I think I'll pass on putting them on the Excursion.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Advantage 28' Cat

with a single filler will the air travel from one side to the other during a hard turn?
Right turn, left side compresses, right side raises??
Thinking about that makes want seperate lines but at the same location. even thought about the auto pump
Old 09-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Registered

Your right . A single valve is Not a real good idea .....
It is actualy dangerous to someone that carries alot in the truck or is top heavy . The air pushes out of one bag and into the other in a turn . It makes it real unstable .

I know ,I was in the ditch once because of one . After switching to dual valves the problem was gone . Towing a boat might not feel so bad becasue the hitch is mounted low , but carry something heavy in the truck one day and you will know it !
Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

My Boats: Formula

Quote:
Originally posted by boot
WHat they are better for is pot holes and such (or tree stumps ) ! They are a good compramize between handling and off road comfort . The only down side is the more you run , the hotter they get , and the less effective they are . They get mushy ..... The adjustable ones are good because you can turn them up !
I have the Rancho RS9000's on the Excursion- boot is right- they are a compromise, and do heat up, but the adjustable feature allows you to compensate for that. I have discussed this with others who took the time (and money ) to try all of them out on PSD Excursions, and the RS9000 was the winner. This was on non-lifted trucks. The PSD 'X' is a good test-bed vehicle since it weighs over 8000 lbs loaded, higher than any other SUV or pickup.
I have found them to be excellent on the rough roads of Canada where even the paved roads will loosen your fillings! .
Jim