Old 09-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting Cable

Any words of advice?
first time with it
Ihave McAffee Office with Firewall and the like already
I am going to have it set up so i can unplug it at will.
I am not to keen on the permenant connection

I also want to home network my laptop to it also to use in another room. Should I go cabled, or wireless??

thanks
Old 09-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AVG free antivirus software... and update it regularly, it is the only thing we have found that really works on all viruses.

http://www.grisoft.com
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Linksys BEFSR41 wired 4 port router for my 3 pc's and laptop. These are fairly inexpensinve, easy to set up and have a built in firewall. I also have cable and have no worries about the always on connection.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:48 PM
packinair

I have a linksys router. I am playing online poker, online radio station, surfing OSO, and Laura is playing online poker on the laptop all off my cable at the same time.. I never turn my connection off and have never had a problem

Old 09-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MN Comp US has the Linksys wireless kit on sale right now. 100 bucks for the old style and I think 100 more for the G routers (faster). They have fire walls built in and work VERY well.

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My home system is on cable and always oneline.
Be sure you have a real good firewall. I get 10-20 attacks every night when I'm working on the computer.
Don't know how good McAfee's firewall is but I have Sygate's Personal Firewall Pro. Cost me 49.95 with one years worth of updates.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 AM
Registered

Broadband cable access:

- Do NOT hook up unprotected. They'll use a high bandwidth connection like yours to store music, videos, cracked software, whathaveyou.

- Turn off TCP/IP filesharing, Netbios over TCP/IP. They will access your drives if you do.

- A software firewall like Zonealarm, McAffee etc. is a good first start. Zonealarm is free.

- A hardware router like Linksys, Zygate etc. is highly recommended. It also allows you to use several computers on one cable connection.

- Note: A firewall, whether software or hardware is only as good as its rules. Out of the box, the firewall will only provide rudimentary protection. It needs to be set up.

- When buying a router, IMMEDIATELY password the configuration screens and disable access to modification screens from the cable network. They'll hijack your router before you know it if you don't.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered

How important is having a firewall on a home computer? We do not have any important stuff saved on there unless the hackers can somehow get into my bank or brokerage acct online. Should I get one? Doesn't it affect messageboard access and not allow you on some websites?
Old 09-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Registered

A firewall does not limit access to websites, unless you close port 80 (www) Then you won't be able to access any websites.

Having a firewall (hardware or at least software) is mandatory if your computer sits on a broadband network. Even if you dan't have anything that is sensitive.

- Robots sift for open machines and use your computer for free storage. They'll dump videos and MP3s onto your machine to trade. Illegal stuff usually, and you are in trouble.

- They use your computer as a host for attacks on other machines. The FBI knocks on your door, and you have a lot of explaininmg to do.

- They steal the software on your computer and you are in trouble because someone mass produces a piece of software you have registered.

- They use the material found on your computer for identity theft. Very easy.

This message is being sent through a firewall ...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered

What is the best free firewall? How do i set one up?

Quick Reply: Getting Cable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.