OT - Need boat lift motor help >

OT - Need boat lift motor help

Notices

OT - Need boat lift motor help

Old 09-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Need boat lift motor help

One motor for the boat lift died from it's submersion during Isabel. I ordered two new motors which came yesterday. Specs are the same, but of course the wiring isn't ... and I can't figure out how to make them work with the switches/wiring.

Here's my best attempt at the wiring diagrams.

New Motor:

P1--L1

T2-|
T5-|
T3-|

T4-|-L2
T8-|

To reverse it says to swap T5 and T8, so would be (?)

P1--L1

T2-|
T8-|
T3-|

T4-|-L2
T5-|

Problem is the switch has only 4 leads

"up"

ORG-|-L2
RED-|

BLK-|-L1
WHT-|

"Down"

ORG-|-L2
WHT-|

BLK-|-L1
RED-|

I can hook

BLK-P1
RED-T8
WHT-T5
ORG-T4

Which would handle the T5/T8 swap with T4, but how do I also do the T5/T8 swap with the jumpers, T2 & T3 ??

The switches are 3 pole (?) rotarys and have lots of extra terminals that are hard-jumpered together, but I can't find a manufacturer name on it and thus have no wiring diagram for them.

Any boat lift instalelrs out there that can figure this out for me?

Thanks - Greg
Old 09-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Registered

Greg - What type motors, what voltage, and what type switches? If they are small black boxes with a red lever the probably are Furnas. Let me know the above questions and i'll try and help you out. Dave

The most common down here are the Furnas w/ 115V so here it is:

From the motor side - T1,T3 go to A on the switch
T8 goes to 2 on the switch
T5 goes to 4 on the switch
T2,T4 go to 3 on the switch

Power to the switch will be 1 and B or L1 and L2
Old 09-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

Old motors are AO Smith (no longer listed on their site under the part number on mine). New motors are Leeson. T1 isn't used as I'm running them on 208V single phase.

Switches are round multi-pole rotary, I believe NKK 3 phase as they look just like these http://www.ilwon.com/hs-ps-ts.pdf (go to bottom PS series illustration). Poles are numbered and lettered, probably 30+ available. Most are jumpered together. Lines in are jumpered across all 3 pole banks. Some positions on outpput are jumpered across rotary positions.

Thanks - Greg

Last edited by GregP; 09-25-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

I'm not familure with those but let me see what I can find out. You can also call WW Grainger to see if they have a wiring diagram. I've had to do this many times. I'll do some research and let you know. Dave
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

Found some possible relevent information. http://www.gemremotes.com/wiring_diagrams.html shows the wiring for the current motors (AO smith 230 VAC) and new motors (Leeson 230 VAC).

Wonder if this wire code will match the way my manual switches work ????

-Greg
Old 09-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Registered

Greg,
It's been a while but if I remeber correctly the stuff from the GEM web page is correct. I never sold a lift that didn't have a remote so I have no idea on how to wire a manual switch. All my lifts had the Leeson motors, actually it was an oem motor that hi-tide put their own name on but it was a leeson. All the motor wires are used including T1.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Garry,

I'm going to compare my manual switch wiring of the old motor with the GEM data and see if I can sort it out. One difference is that my manual switches do use all 4 wires. Also, I'm still a bit confused as my motor plates for the new motors show T4 and T5 (or T8 depending on the rotation) as being always connected together.

-Greg
Old 09-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Registered

It uses all 4 wires? I'm not doubting you but are you sure it was wired 220? Looking at the Gem diagram is really bringing back a lot of memories that I would love to forget. But all the 220 installation were done like the gem diagram. When they say change motor direction they are not talking about the direction when you push up vs down. They are talking about the normal rotation of the motor. On lift with two motors, rt side left side the motors spin in opposite directions. Normally the motor on the right side of the lift having T5 and T8 swapped when wired. T5 to red and T8 to the bundle.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

No, I'm not sure it was ever wired CORRECTLY for 220V, but it has been running on 220V. It was installed wired for 120V, but since I have a 220V feed to the dock I had them come over and re-wire it for 220V. It wouldn't really surprise me if they did it wrong, but it has been working for several years that way.

I got in touch with Aqua Marine and got them to FAX me the wiring diagram for the switch (Bremas) and motor (Leeson) combination. It's wiring agrees with the GEM layout using only 3 leads.

I also got the motor internal schematics from Leeson and it makes no sense to wire it as the boat lift stuff shows, as in one direction it would use the start capacitaor but in the other direction it would not. It also would only use 2 of the 3 winding loops at any time.

I guess I'll wire it the way the switch schematic shows, but it sure doesn't make any sense to me or any of the EE's around here.

-Greg